Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

"File open" changes in X8

Bucky Cornstarch

Been playing with X8 for a few days and so far I like it. (Who'da thunk you'd actually be able to see selected chains in an "X" version of MC ;) )

The problem I'm having is this: For years, I have been opening files by going to file>open. In previous versions, MC would first allow me to select the file I wanted to open, and then ask me if I want to save the file I was working on. When I clicked yes, it would then take me to the folder that I was working in with the file name highlighted at the bottom. I'd then click save and everything would be dandy.

Of course, in X8 this is different. Now, when I click file>open, a small box opens immediately and asks if I want to save changes to the file. The problem is that it only gives me the immediate file name and not the entire file path like EVERY SINGLE VERSION OF MASTERCAM THAT I'VE USED SINCE 1998! While this may see trivial, I'm afraid it will lead to some overwriting of files since I rely heavily on subfolders to keep my thousands of programs organized.

Anybody else notice this? Is there a setting that can be changed in the cofig file? Am I crazy? Am I doing it all wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

I have to wonder what the last version you used was?

In X5 all it said was MCX-5 file has changed. Save it?

In X6 all it said was MCX-6 file has changed. Save it?

In X7 all it said was MCX-7 file has changed. Save it?

Given that Mastercam only allows you to have 1 document open at a time, and the default behavior is to show the entire path in the title bar, if you hit save it will save the file in the location shown in the title bar, which is visible when the dialog box you are talking about comes up.

If you choose Save As which allows you to save it in another location, it does indeed show you the location in the save as dialog.

If it is a new file that you have never saved or if it is a file you opened from an old version, it opens the save as dialog box when you hit save, and that box allows you to see the full path.

I actually tried to find a way to make it ambiguous as to where the file would save and was unable to, I personally can't find fault in the functionality, and I would say it actually more closely resembles standard windows behavior by performing the way it does. I for one cannot think of any windows software which asks you for a location when you hit save, the default behavior for Save is to save over the existing file in the existing location. The standard behavior for Save As is to prompt the user for a new location in which to save a copy of the current file.

I understand that, and will have to retrain myself in my order of thinking, but why change something that has been the same in Mastercam (and quite frankly, Windows) after what, close to 20 years? Bottles the mind.

As to why I can't say specifically but I would assume it was not on a whim just to mess with us. 

The nature of all software is change, I know I for one interact with my computer, phone even the bank differently today than I did 5 years ago, much less 20 years ago.  I expect I will continue to adjust habits as software and technologies develop and improve.

djstedman, I upgraded from X7 to X8, and have had both programs open at the same time. When I do the exact same order of operations X8 behaves differently than X7, hence the frustration. I have been using MC since V8 and this is the first I've noticed the issue.  

I guess my main gripe is that I work with a lot of part "families" where maybe one or two details will change. It is much easier to open an existing program, with all of its toolpaths, tool libraries, stock models, etc already ready to go, and then import the Parasolid of the new part and apply the existing info to the new part. Now, if I forget to save the program file as a new file immediately, there is a much greater chance of overwriting the old file.

Anyway, I'll have to learn to adapt. Thanks Mastercam.

Been playing with X8 for a few days and so far I like it. (Who'da thunk you'd actually be able to see selected chains in an "X" version of MC ;) )

The problem I'm having is this: For years, I have been opening files by going to file>open. In previous versions, MC would first allow me to select the file I wanted to open, and then ask me if I want to save the file I was working on. When I clicked yes, it would then take me to the folder that I was working in with the file name highlighted at the bottom. I'd then click save and everything would be dandy.

Of course, in X8 this is different. Now, when I click file>open, a small box opens immediately and asks if I want to save changes to the file. The problem is that it only gives me the immediate file name and not the entire file path like EVERY SINGLE VERSION OF MASTERCAM THAT I'VE USED SINCE 1998! While this may see trivial, I'm afraid it will lead to some overwriting of files since I rely heavily on subfolders to keep my thousands of programs organized.

Anybody else notice this? Is there a setting that can be changed in the cofig file? Am I crazy? Am I doing it all wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Inc save.....

I think it IS an issue. Yes there are always changes to deal with. This one in particular irritates me because I would agree that all the Windows applications I can think of up through 7 flow like the previous versions of Mastercam. I won't lose any sleep over it but I definitely understand the man's frustration. Irritating.

That being said I live by "save early save often" and I never allow Mastercam, or any application to save a file on exit. My opinion is that the practice is dangerous, so I don't do it.

I agree with betts. These little subtle changes are annoying. The thing that bothers me is that the file open dialog window no longer has the bar on the side that you can customize with mastercam specific shortcuts. I used those a lot. I also miss the dropdown with recent folders. I understand that with improvements sometimes sacrifices have to be made. They may seem minor to some but major to others that are "creatures of habit". I am getting used to the windows file selection method but I notice I have to pause to make sure I am selecting the correct folder where as before I had muscle memory with the side menu. 

The file path is still visible in the Mastercam title bar at the top so you can see where you are as it is saving this file in that location.  Bucktruck's point of forgetting to save changes to a new file is a valid point and something i will make sure gets shared with the UX team.   For now you just cancel and do a save as.  AS far as why we made that change, I'll have to get back to you on that one as I don't remember the specific discussions.

Everything the old Mastercam specific style File Open could do, you can do with the standards windows file dialog it's just a little different.  There used to be two styles of file dialogs - windows style and Mastercam style.  Now we just offer the Microsoft standard windows style.

• Like 2