Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

System 3R

In doing my due diligence on exploring workholding options, this system has been brought up to review.....

I have done some literature reading & pursuing YouTube for information.

Having done all that I wanted to ask if anyone has any real world experience with this workholding system?

I am aware there are others out there and those others are also under consideration, I am looking for info on this system specifically....

http://www.system3r.com/3r/en/products-services/products/precision-production.aspx

A mate uses it in their low volume shop - they have it on the mill and the spark and wire machines.

I remember him saying it was superb because he could leave a part in it and mill it, and then move the system with the part still in it to another base on the sparker and finish the job.

I have used that system for making electrodes and hardmilling smaller mold parts. It's really nice when you have one of their robots and can run unattended. Do you have any specific questions about it? 

Nothing specific, the system itself seems pretty straight forward, I'm not sure I am a fan of having to drill your part and screw it onto their pallet.

Really just wondering what those who use it thought of it......

We have been using it for the electrodes on our sparkers for 20 years plus. Great for milling, grinding, turning electrodes they repeat well. You  can even buy copper blanks on shafts ready to go. Once you build up a stock of base plates and shafts makes manufacture of electrodes simple and fast

Nothing specific, the system itself seems pretty straight forward, I'm not sure I am a fan of having to drill your part and screw it onto their pallet.

Really just wondering what those who use it thought of it......

Its a quality system and like Del said, they don't give it away. 

I have mounted fixtures and some grinding vises to them for holding my parts with a lot of success. 

System 3R can supply pallets with Spreitzer workholidng already mounted to it. Talked with the guy a week or so ago as we are interested too. You don't necessarily have to drill through your fixture to fasten it to a pallet. You can drill and cbore from the backside of the pallet and have blind holes in you part or fixture. Depending on which system you're looking at they have reference pallets that have the XY reference locations and the pull stud goes into your part or fixture. <- This is for the Macro and Macro Magnum systems. Contact a 3R rep directly for literature as their website sucks a fat one.

TK

We have lots of it. We have hundreds of the macro pallets in our shop. We also have macro magnum, dynafix, 20mm round shank, and wedm rails vises & other tooling. one 5 axis machine has dynafix built in with 7 pallet changer, another 5 axis machine has macro magnum built in with 18 pallet changer, both sinkers have macro chucks built in to the spindle. We have chucks all over the place, one that lives at each cmm, several that we switch to all of our different machines at different times. we can come off the machine inspect with the zeiss calypso & got right back within a couple of tenths. (we do inspect some stuff with probes on the machine, but its not the same level of inspection). We can carry parts thru some or all operations living life on fixtures and never coming off, this makes setups a breeze & helps keep location & accuracy . Which particular platform do you have in mind & how do you invision using it? I can possibly give your some more insight & and some of the lessons learned we have discovered here.

Its a key part of our shop. We are big fans of everything but the price, but its very accurate and it lasts. We have wedm rails that are over 20 years old and still dead nuts flat & straight.

HTH

We have lots of it. We have hundreds of the macro pallets in our shop. We also have macro magnum, dynafix, 20mm round shank, and wedm rails vises & other tooling. one 5 axis machine has dynafix built in with 7 pallet changer, another 5 axis machine has macro magnum built in with 18 pallet changer, both sinkers have macro chucks built in to the spindle. We have chucks all over the place, one that lives at each cmm, several that we switch to all of our different machines at different times. we can come off the machine inspect with the zeiss calypso & got right back within a couple of tenths. (we do inspect some stuff with probes on the machine, but its not the same level of inspection). We can carry parts thru some or all operations living life on fixtures and never coming off, this makes setups a breeze & helps keep location & accuracy . Which particular platform do you have in mind & how do you invision using it? I can possibly give your some more insight & and some of the lessons learned we have discovered here.

Its a key part of our shop. We are big fans of everything but the price, but its very accurate and it lasts. We have wedm rails that are over 20 years old and still dead nuts flat & straight.

HTH

What part size and material type would you consider max for the Macro Magnum? I was told that system could hold a 3.5 x 6 x 10 piece of aluminum with no problem and not have chatter issues. Could you put a piece of 6 x 6 x 6 304SS on it and mill it without much issue?

What part size and material type would you consider max for the Macro Magnum? I was told that system could hold a 3.5 x 6 x 10 piece of aluminum with no problem and not have chatter issues. Could you put a piece of 6 x 6 x 6 304SS on it and mill it without much issue?

Based on my experience I don't think the macro magnum would have a problem with either of those stock sizes. We have 5th axis dovetail vises on a lot of our macro magnum pallets and I have had 6x6x6 on there no problem. I personally wouldn't really be concerned about the pallet/connection being the weak link in a set up. Just make sure you have a rigid way to connect your work peices to your pallets. I'm only guessing but you could probably do 12x12x12 or more depending on your machines configuration.

• 3 weeks later...

In doing my due diligence on exploring workholding options, this system has been brought up to review.....

I have done some literature reading & pursuing YouTube for information.

Having done all that I wanted to ask if anyone has any real world experience with this workholding system?

I am aware there are others out there and those others are also under consideration, I am looking for info on this system specifically....

http://www.system3r.com/3r/en/products-services/products/precision-production.aspx

If your electrodes aren't overly large check out Quick Change tooling (St. Paul - MPLS area) they combing a 3R block with there own idea.

Been using this combined system for 12 -13 years now. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Snowing in Colorado>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>