Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

surface pocket issue

brandon b

I think you might have better results moving over to an Surface High Speed Core path...

Gotta be honest, I do a fair bit of surface machining and I have not used that path in years at this point

Problem I'm having is that I need 100% cleanup on each depth. Otherwise the inserts get destroyed when it finally overlaps those "pegs" sticking up.

Opticore worked alright, but the first cut doesn't engage very much so the inserts are just slapping the material.

I have core roughing programmed just trying to get 5 other machines up and running first

Problem I'm having is that I need 100% cleanup on each depth. Otherwise the inserts get destroyed when it finally overlaps those "pegs" sticking up.

Opticore worked alright, but the first cut doesn't engage very much so the inserts are just slapping the material.

I have core roughing programmed just trying to get 5 other machines up and running first

Change your depth zone. To make any HST toolpath cut deeper on the 1st cut lie to it. Tell it that the Z min Height is below what it thinks it is and it will take a nice 1st cut.

Example Top of the Rough stock is Z0 and my depth of cut is .25. I will make the Z min -.25 and the max the depth I want the toolpath to take stays the needed depth. Now I get rid of any possible air cuts for roughing. Have to be careful as the step up will also be limited to -.25, but when I ave to go this route I normally will not step up and use Surface finish Contour and use the bottom up process.

HTH

Change your depth zone. To make any HST toolpath cut deeper on the 1st cut lie to it. Tell it that the Z min Height is below what it thinks it is and it will take a nice 1st cut.

Example Top of the Rough stock is Z0 and my depth of cut is .25. I will make the Z min -.25 and the max the depth I want the toolpath to take stays the needed depth. Now I get rid of any possible air cuts for roughing. Have to be careful as the step up will also be limited to -.25, but when I ave to go this route I normally will not step up and use Surface finish Contour and use the bottom up process.

HTH

already been doing that. I meant radially. The first pass at each depth gradually enters the part. So the first 45 inches of cut is between 10 and 40 % other diameter.

I'm at home an no hasp, but I wonder if you can do an opticore with stock to leave on sides but not z.

Then set the z limits in steep shallow to only make one pass on the final z level.

That should lead it in off the part.... If feesable

Jay, canyougive it a shot in X7?

not sure if you understand. The surface pocket path is leaving material at random depths. I'm taking of like 1.5" of material at .035doc. So it's not just the final depth it's almost everyone

I will pulll the file after I reload X8. I have done these on fadal and there are setting I turn off so that it will not Arc error out.

I got the opticore and core roughing toolpath to run on the fadal by putting .03 total tolerance and not create arcs on the arc\filter page