Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Need a cool program to demo to a CNC college class

danielm

I've agreed to show a trades skills print reading class an introduction to CNC mill setup and running a program.  Does anyone have something 'cool' that's easy enough to demo a part out of aluminum?  Say...6 tools or less and something that will be no bigger than a 3" cube? The machine is a 3ax Hass VF2.

Thanks for any help!

DM

Make a logo or a simple shape. In High School years ago we had to make a Star by hand. We had to lay it out, cut it out and finish it all by hand. We made up all the names of the school board members out of 1"x 2" Alum Bar. All were hand made and polished by the students.

Maybe make a Pencil Holder or a Card Holder with the name of School on it.

What I was hoping for was some kind of gadget.  An example is: start with a 2" cube. Vise on it to full depth (std hard jaws).  Use a .25x1.25loc carb em. The program pockets out 6 different shapes all with a unique shaped island (round, square, star, oval...) on top of a round boss. The boss is to a depth of about Z-.3 from the face. The program stops 6 times to flip the part to the next face of the cube. when its all done there is a milled do-hickey that is trapped inside the excess of the cube and it just knocks around inside like some kind of brain teaser puzzle.

Maybe I'll just do that.....but I was thinking that there was still cooler stuff that I couldfind here.

A turners cube would be pretty cool. At that size you could do it in about 20 minutes if you learn the program and use probing or part stops.

Check youtube for turner's cube. You can also find a crap load of solid free on grabcad.