Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Maintenance Customers???

Lee.

Attention, serious not saterical post ahead:

Can someone from CNC say something about the accounting issues of signing up for maintenance before or after Jan 1? I told my manager that we should sign up before year end, and his question to me was; why pay maintenace in November? Do we have to pay again Jan 1?

Is there a firm deadline forming where before date X, maintenance covers Version X, and after date X, Version X becomes an upgrade issue? My management is not going to want to pay up long before the deadline. Can the deadline be set a few days into 04 so we can expense it in next year?

Thanks in advance.

Edit:

Thanks for the speedy Email reply Roger; only 13 minutes after I originally posted this question.

I'll leave the question up so that others can see it has been asked, and respectfully refer others with the same question to their reseller for an answer.

Prototek support is the greatest!!

[ 11-10-2003, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Harryman ]

Well Paul,

I read every post on that link and by now it seems to be carved in stone. It would appear that CNC want more money out of there product and are probably shying away from increasing the price of the new software to keep new sales up. Once your in however your stuck with buggy software, and if you would like the screw ups fixed, you have to pay. I mentioned in an earlier post of mine about machining on solids. It is quite obvious that most of us are using workarounds when it comes to alot of issues with the software and now we are penalised by this maintenance agreement.

I think that if they are going to implement an agreement it should include upgrades as well as updates.

Of course the best action would be to be happy that CNC are increasing there customer base every week and therefore there revenue. Maybe they should look at there costs instead of revenue, and pull in the reins a bit.

My 2 cents.

Lee.

I have read all, I have talked to my dealer, I have talked to my other dealer, the Management here at work,one of the owners of the dealership, I have ask that it be reqouted to be closer to say 10% of a new seat(Mine is 25%),

I have been a loyal user of MC since the mid 80's.

And I have received a lot of personal support, and I appreciate it.

I feel the way this presented , is that If the

company I work for doesn't pay the fee, The local dealers will feel like i'm a pirate.

I don't think they are willing to pay .

I don't want to be concidered a pirate.

Scott teh' frown.gif unimpressed

Is everyone being quoted the same price for maintenance? Has Mastercam stated the cost? Does the dealer have a role in setting the price? Is it negotiable? Can we discuss this on the forum????

I also wonder abount the benefit or penalty of paying the maintenance now vs. waiting until a significant update or upgrade is available.

quote:

Can we discuss this on the forum

NO, this is not permitted to be discussed on the board. To the best of my knowledge prices are regonal, so the price you pay will not be the same as someone else on the otherside of the country.

Scott a pirate...no way... I thought you were the double agent looking to bust pirates. biggrin.gif

cheers.gif

Paul,

Not sure why you are saying we cannot discuss this on the forum.

I also think that the price for maintenance should be the same dependant on service required. It should be layed out from CNC just as is new software pricing.

I also think that we all got into this software based on the fact that there were no maintenance costs unlike GIBBS. Now it seems that CNC are going the same way. I honestly beleive it is unethical to change the rules of the game, once you have drawn the players onto the feild.

Lee.

[ 11-10-2003, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: Lee K. White ]

Lee,

I'm guessing here but .....

In the future there will be patches and enhancements.

I'm sure that bug fixes (patches) will be available to all users.

Enhancements will only be available to maintenance

customers.

Whether non-maintenance users are happy with the

definitions of patch and enhancement remains to be seen.

Mastercam has all ways had THE BEST customer service of any software I have ever used.

I do not believe they will leave non maintenance

users out in the cold where bugs are concerned.

Lee, this is taking from the FAQ section. This is post 2, point 12.

quote:

12. CNC Software discourages any discussion of pricing over the Internet, and we will respect their wishes on this forum. Around the globe product prices may fluctuate for various reasons including but not limited to economic conditions, varying service structures, international translation costs, and distribution costs.

That should answer your question about discussing pricing.

I normally stay out of these type topics but I have 2 cents on this one. I also feel that bug fixes should be free to non-maintainance customers. I also feel that upgrades and point realeses should not be free, but the price per seat should be lowered to reflect the loss of service (I think phone support will also be lost to non-maintainance customers) and enhancements. I am reasonably happy with V9.1SP2 and if necessary I can continue to program successfully with it for many years. I will be a little scared of VX for about the first 10 bug fixes anyway. I see the maintainance program as a safety net for CNC Software in case VX doesn't go over well if it is released any time soon. Just my 2 cents. biggrin.gif