Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

DRILL / MILL

Tinyfxds

We are getting a new tool vending machine and they have drill / mills stocked in the machine.  The only thing we've used them for is engraving and I don't really think they do the best job at it either.  I'm curious as to who has used them and for what applications they are used for.  I would think you'd be able to use them as a chamfer mill?? We have Garr drill / mills P.N. 57267

post-52370-0-87056000-1428952817_thumb.jpg

I believe the guy in charge is planning on replacing our current chamfer mills with these.  One small problem, if these come to a sharp point, then every program I've used with our current chamfer mill will be wrong.  Our current chamfer mill has a .020 flat on the tip.  Maybe these will have a slight flat as well

Chamfering and engraving. I prefer 4 flutes, they tend to leave a better chamfer finish and no sharp hairs on the hard stuffs. Reducing the chip load really makes a difference when trying to deburr at 100 ipm. They do have a small flat but not .020, more like .003 on a 1/8.

• Like 1

I like them a lot but I only use them for engraving and chamfering.

We keep .250 and .375 in our tool vending. The 1/4in I use to engrave or sneak in some tighter chamfers, its a 2 flute and runs at 5000rpm and 45ipm. The 3/8in is a 4 fluted chamfer machine. I run it at 5000rpm and 150ipm in pretty much any material. The last time I looked at a tool data screen it had 190 hours on it.

Have never once used one to drill or "mill".