Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Another Workstation Question

phodee6

Ok,  i also have to look into purchasing a new workstation for work and i am not in the mood to deal with a build so i need an all said and done fast workstation, i found this computer on Canada computer for a pretty good price

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=38_1000&item_id=065731

Lenovo ThinkStation S30 4352

Xeon E5-1650V2 / 3.5 GHz ( 6-core )

RAM 8 GB 

SSHD 1 x 2 TB ( 8 GB )

Quadro K4000

do you think this will be good enough or does anyone know of any other retailers or other workstation would be more ideal that are in Ontario Canada

it would nice to boost up the ram to 32gb and maybe swap out the sshd with a ssd drive

I've never been a huge fan of the Xeon Processors. I much prefer the i series. I have an i7 on my home and work computer and they both perform flawless. 

Besides that it looks okay. Don't worry about SSD, your SSHD will boot windows fast.

32Gb Ram might be Overkill. 16Gb at home and I've never according to my montior used more than 65% of it, even when running multiple stressing apps. 

I've only had one xeon and, like tapes vs cd's I couldn't tell any difference.

I use one of these: http://us.msi.com/product/workstation/GT70-Workstation.html#hero-overview

and I love it. I know I'll get bashed for having an opinion of my own here, but I'll probably never go back to desktops as long as I can get something like this. It has never even hiccuped and I always have solid edge, mcam, a pdf of some kind and draftsight open. windows 8 boots up nicely. Never timed it but customers always ask what kind of computer it is.

Since HD TVs are so common I keep a cable in my bag and hook up to make it easier to review on the fly changes and what not.

I'd really like to try one of their all in one's but they don't have one that has an identical matching 2nd monitor and I detest different monitors. I don't know about you but my CAD is more demanding than mcam.

If you could benefit from taking it home or carrying it around I've been pleased with mine.

I just got a new laptop:

Dell M6800

17.3 inch UltraSharp FHD(1920x1080) Wide View Anti-Glare LED-backlit with Premium Panel Guarantee

Intel Core i7-4910MQ(Quad Core 2.90GHz, 3.90GHz Turbo, 8MB 47W, w/HD Graphics 4600)

NVIDIA Quadro K4100M w/4GB GDDR5

32GB (4x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3L

256GB Solid State Drive Full Mini Card

1TB 2.5inch SATA (5,400 Rpm) Hard Drive

Win 7 Pro.

That looks like nice box. Price is ok. and yes with the price of ram these days go with the 32 gigs. it is in no way over kill. Also the SSD will make for a better performance threw out the apps to besides just booting. these to have dropped in price.

there isn't much competition/selection in Canada so it looks i might be limited to this model.  i think i will have to upgrade the ram, 8gb probably wont cut it so an extra $200 i can plug in more ram and get it up to 16gb

I've never been a huge fan of the Xeon Processors. I much prefer the i series. I have an i7 on my home and work computer and they both perform flawless. 

Besides that it looks okay. Don't worry about SSD, your SSHD will boot windows fast.

32Gb Ram might be Overkill. 16Gb at home and I've never according to my montior used more than 65% of it, even when running multiple stressing apps. 

Ram is cheap, get 64 gig if you can.

Ok what type of work do you do. are you using just MC for your Cad and CAM. 16gigs should be fine for most but if you do a lot of complex work and molding buy the ram not from the vendor but the store will be cheaper in most cases or go to Newegg for example.

This will be a nice box right from the get go but I would sure move it to at least 16 gigs.

$2800 is a lot for that computer, but then again that's Canadian dollars. I don't know what that would be in USD and I'm too lazy to look. :p

Have you looked here?  http://www.ncix.com/

They might be able to get you a better system for a cheaper price.

Thanks for the link, Just checked out that site and the prices there are about the same as Canada Computers,  the Canada Computer model has a faster processor (more cores too) and more memory in the graphics card and so on in that price range with a Quadro 4000 or greater card.

i do 2d, 3d and 4 axis programing for simple parts to mould cavities and die sets,  i also design fixtures and nests

well its looks like the boss will only do the 32gb ram upgrade and no SSD drive upgrade.    

The only issue with having no SSD is that saving and opening up mastercam might take a few seconds longer,  everything else should be pretty fast

well its looks like the boss will only do the 32gb ram upgrade and no SSD drive upgrade.    

The only issue with having no SSD is that saving and opening up mastercam might take a few seconds longer,  everything else should be pretty fast

I would go SSD over more ram

No do not do SSD over Ram . this will not help the over all perfomance when you need it but the RAM. you are getting a Hybrid SSHD drive. stay there.

What's your reason that he will max out 32gb of ram? 

I have similar work flow and I don't use anywhere 32gb of unless im using solidworks (large assemblies 200+ parts) and mastercam at the same, plus chrome, email, plus are erp software 

edit- only 8gb you should go 16gb

What's your reason that he will max out 32gb of ram? 

I have similar work flow and I don't use anywhere 32gb of unless im using solidworks (large assemblies 200+ parts) and mastercam at the same, plus chrome, email, plus are erp software 

edit- only 8gb you should go 16gb

Always remember, Solidworks considers a part/assembly large not by the number of components but the number of faces....

The more faces to be rendered, the more memory usage.

You can have an assembly of 200 square blocks, that would be 1200 faces......

1 Faceted lens with 12,0000 faces would use FAR more memory

and for post 25,000   Just noticed that  :)

and I only had 16 gigs, I certainly could have used more

1654949_970923636270259_8228080987415721

We "do" have a bit of an idea of what we'r talking about ;)

We "do" have a bit of an idea of what we'r talking about ;)

Well I always say I do not know everything. but doing this and helping Mastercam company's with support and computers issues for years. and contract programming sense 94 I have starting feel like I have a clue. 

m98custom1212 you most likely not doing anything to complicated or files that reach into the 100 plus megs. but you find you never can have to much ram , well except if you are running 32bit Windows then the system wont use it. you also have to see what your CPU supports for ram as each one does have a limit of ram it will use. at this time mine says 64gig even tho my MB supports 128.

Also using more ram you can dedicate less HD Cache space as you will find you don't need it. so if you have a 120 ssd and it is taking 20 to 30 gigs of space for this incase you can drop it to 10gigs of HD cacheing.

Well I always say I do not know everything. but doing this and helping Mastercam company's with support and computers issues for years. and contract programming sense 94 I have starting feel like I have a clue. 

Nope, would never proclaim to know everything  :) 

That's why I said "a bit"