Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Posting to a Folder

Tinyfxds

When I post a program, I post it to a drive on our server.  The machines then read the program from there.  I would like to start posting my programs to a folder where my MC file is saved and then move them to the drive on the server.  This way I always have a backup copy of the posted programs.  Is there a way to post to a folder automatically?  When I used Surfcam it would created a folder for you when you posted and all your programs would go there. 

I believe you'll have to navigate to the folder you want when the first program is posted. When I post a program, a window opens where I can select where I want the program to go. After the first program has been posted to that folder, that folder should be the default for subsequent programs for that particular part. New part = new folder and you'll have to repeat the process. HTH

Go into the machine properties page and file in the operations manager and you can set it in there. The Toolpath directory can be set to where you want it for each file with no problem. It was broken in X8, but X9 has addressed the issue. It will default to that location every time from that point forward.

HTH

Go into the machine properties page and file in the operations manager and you can set it in there. The Toolpath directory can be set to where you want it for each file with no problem. It was broken in X8, but X9 has addressed the issue. It will default to that location every time from that point forward.

HTH

Ok I found where to change it but this seems to be a general setting.  What I mean is, All of my programs will go to this location no matter what file I am working on.  I'm looking for a way to automatically create an "NC Program" folder in the same location that my Mastercam file is located in.  I'm not sure this is even possible.  What we had to do with Powermill is create a folder called "NC Programs" and then once we posted, they would automatically go into that folder.

With Surfcam, it automatically created the "NC Program" folder when you posted.

Ok I found where to change it but this seems to be a general setting.  What I mean is, All of my programs will go to this location no matter what file I am working on.  I'm looking for a way to automatically create an "NC Program" folder in the same location that my Mastercam file is located in.  I'm not sure this is even possible.  What we had to do with Powermill is create a folder called "NC Programs" and then once we posted, they would automatically go into that folder.

With Surfcam, it automatically created the "NC Program" folder when you posted.

Yes it is possible like anything just a matter of training. Can go into the System configuration and set a Folder and all NC programs will go into that folder from the point forward. Why you would do that is beyond me, but to each their own.

• Like 1

I whipped up a quick NETHook that you or some one might like to play around with.  

Unzip the NETHook.zip into your X9 CHooks folder then right click the NETHook (PostToDrawingFolder.dll) goto properties and make sure to unblock it if it is blocked (likely).

Fire up Mastercam and goto Settings Customize, under the Category NETHook you should see Post NC button, drag that to a tool-bar or add it to a menu.

Load a drawing then click the button you just added to open up a dialog, click OK to post to the drawing NC Program sub folder.

This is not an officially supported CNC Software NETHook but feel free to post to this thread if you have any questions etc.

NETHook.zip

PostToDrawingFolderVBNETSource.zip

post-4901-0-94668000-1433276467_thumb.png

post-4901-0-28710300-1433276473_thumb.png

• Like 4

I whipped up a quick NETHook that you or some one might like to play around with.  

Unzip the NETHook.zip into your X9 CHooks folder then right click the NETHook (PostToDrawingFolder.dll) goto properties and make sure to unblock it if it is blocked (likely).

Fire up Mastercam and goto Settings Customize, under the Category NETHook you should see Post NC button, drag that to a tool-bar or add it to a menu.

Load a drawing then click the button you just added to open up a dialog, click OK to post to the drawing NC Program sub folder.

This is not an officially supported CNC Software NETHook but feel free to post to this thread if you have any questions etc.

Thanks Mick. Already downloaded and looking it over right now. :unworthy: :unworthy:

Has anyone looked at Project Manager?

I post files for many different customers so when I am programming I just hit Project Manager and select which file I want in the folder.

It is of course kewl that someone from CNC takes that extra time to offer a more custom solution  :)

Ron, if you review my video this is not beyond, I think for certain things like helps with DNC software to point were the program is as a lot of company like to have certain directory's to have the DNC software to look into. so some like to have a folder for each machine. that is what my video is based on.

• Like 1

Ron, if you review my video this is not beyond, I think for certain things like helps with DNC software to point were the program is as a lot of company like to have certain directory's to have the DNC software to look into. so some like to have a folder for each machine. that is what my video is based on.

Jay, sorry I am not thinking single machine here or single job. We have well over 150 customers and we organize all programming jobs, by the customer, part number, dash number and then have a TO MACHINE and FROM MACHINE Folder. We send the customer a NC Program to run on the machine. They send us back a run program on the machine we track it. We do our best to document all changes, revisions and process to ensure we are giving our customers the best process possible. Dumping everything in to one folder and then having to play hunt and peck for programs does get the job done, but you lose all tracking, control and organization handling NC Programs this way. File management is one of the biggest issues I see in just about any shop big or small. How is it controlled? Plan up front to make the method support the People, Process and Technology.

Sorry if my remark comes across too blunt, but organization is one of those things I see time and time again in shops not given the correct attention. The programmer in any shop in my opinion is the CTO (Chief Technical Officer). If the programmer is not disciplined enough to make or push for a robust enough process to ensure everything goes smoothly how will the Management, Setup personnel and Operators do so? Like I said to each their own, but I would rather do my best than risk having issues because I didn't.

My experience is what gives me this opinion  and in my experience dumping everything into one folder and then telling others to go look for it is clumsy, clunky and discombobulated. Why use levels in programming, why use travelers or for that matter why even use part numbers. Why not use take everything you make and dump them in a box and call it a day? I see it as no different make a controlled labeled process. Follow that process. Then the process will be manageable and adhered too. Make it a mess and expect a mess. Make it a organized controlled process and see what happens.

Just wondering, was there ever an answer to the original question that actually worked other than a NetHook?

I have always wanted this behavior. I realize you can manually set a folder for each file when you create a file, but since I basically always want to post to the same place relative to the MCX file it seems like there should definitely be a way to make this happen by default. If there is not, then it should be an option.

I would think you should be able to use basic file structure notation to make your default NC directory point at  .\  so your NC file would post relative to the current directory and this actually does work if you put it the toolpath directory for each file, however it wont allow you to put this in as your default NC File location in the config .. it says string value only.

The closest thing suggested, other than the Nethook was using project manager to post the programs to the same folder location as the Mastercam file.  This would require the user to make an "NC Programs" folder at the initial posting but then all the programs would post to that folder.  Its very close to what I was looking for.  The Nethook is exactly what I'm looking for.

Ron, I am all about organization to for my customers and telling them the same thing. so I here what you are saying . but there are a lot of shops that will still dump in to main folders or by machine so that is why I created this video for the customers that use our DNC-Max can have so they open that Machine def and it will post to the directory for them. Some I just have set to look into the Customer directory main folder then they have to pick the customer and folder from the network.
I have mine here go to default of my Customers directory on the Network then from there I point to the customers folders and so on.