Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Good option for NetHasp users.

All,

For years I've struggled with how to effectively manage our Licenses. The Alladin software has zero functionality. Hell it is barely good at just serving licenses.....

I finally hit upon a good solution for us.

http://www.autocloseidle.com/

Basically you install the server on the machine running your license server (or wherever you want) and then on each PC you install the client. The server instantly sees the clients and assigns them default settings.

The key to this working is using AutoSave. I set all our computers to autosave every 7min without prompting. Yes this can be a pita and yes you have to use the backup function always incase you need to roll back. The software needs to be able to request a "close" without a prompt to save.

Here's how I have it setup. We have 6 seats of mill and the software looks for the application name "MasterCam Mill" (I've excluded Lathe):

The software is configured for 5 users, unlimited time.  MC will not close.

Upon the 6th user that opens "MasterCam Mill", the software will start looking for the least used license over 10 minutes idle and close it.  (autosave is normally in effect here, every 7 min.)

So basically you can have 5 people running MasterCam unlimited time frame. Once the 6th user shows up then AutoClose Idle will try and find a user with over 10min idle cpu time and will close that instance. Now you have 5 seats used and one available. If all users have been active in the last 10min then all 6 seats will be used until 10min inactivity is seen again.

It works perfectly beside Alladin holding licenses once in a while. I have a BAT file that runs every 6hrs to purge the licenses.

Only downside is the software developer can be slow (like a week) to respond. It's worth it though. We have at times 9 people that need to program and this allows the flexibility we needed.

Hope that helps someone. We're all in this together. Any questions just ask!

-Josh

We've got a problem with machinists on the shop floor opening Cimco to look at a program, and leaving the program open and idle. We have a bunch of licenses, but not enough to have everyone active at once. The easy answer is "just buy more licenses", but that isn't in the budget, nor should it be necessary if everyone would just learn to close the program when they aren't using it.

We've got a problem with machinists on the shop floor opening Cimco to look at a program, and leaving the program open and idle. We have a bunch of licenses, but not enough to have everyone active at once. The easy answer is "just buy more licenses", but that isn't in the budget, nor should it be necessary if everyone would just learn to close the program when they aren't using it.

If they're just looking why not open it I PSPad or something like that?

Hi Josh,  

Thanks for sharing this;  

Can you control multiple applications on a client with a single installation - for example Mastercam and Cimco?  

Are there any logging capabilities to see how often it is forcing shut downs, or when there are license shortages?

If this is installed on a client - can you prevent license checkouts of unauthorized users, by using the windows account name?

Thanks again,

Dan

Dan,

Simple answer to all your questions is no.

This software was developed for accounting software at large companies. It's very simple in it's functionality but doesn't do what your asking. I've searched high and low for the solution your after and unfortunately with our Hasp it's not possible. For more advanced licensing solutions you can use OpenLM. Not with our Hasp from the early 90's...

Josh-

So if you leave something crunching, it'll stay open and working.  Then sometime between when it's done and 7 minutes later it will save.  Then when it's been idle for ten minutes or more it may close if all licenses are in use.  Cool!

Yes. there's lots of options. I have ours setup to "IF" 6 users are active (our limit) AND both the program AND CPU have been idle for more then 10min then close the most idle user.

You also as a "client" user the ability to right click on the icon and close most idle user.....

It's pretty cool stuff once you get it dialed into your needs. At first I had it set to close all users who exceed 10min idle time. This caused a bunch of whining so I changed it to idle forever unless we max out the licenses....

You rock dude. That's exactly what we need, and it is already in Cimco. Many thanks.

Colin, this will help you folks. use this first check box and then set a time.

stupid question but where do you fond this??? I can't see any general under settings. OOPS I am still in X7 maybe that is why???