Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Toolpath parameters return to "default" when selecting a different tool

Thad

Say I have a toolpath that uses a .250 end mill and for whatever reason, I decide to change it and use a .187 end mill instead. When I select the new tool, my step over, step down, machining angles, etc all change to the "default" values of the new tool. I don't like that happening. What setting controls this so I can turn it off?

I'm not even sure where these default values come from. I pretty much exclusively use my ops library for programming, copying and reusing toolpaths so I haven't looked at the .DEFAULTS file in many years...though I am familiar (I think) with how it works.

I think it depends Thad, do you have use tools step peck and coolant checked in your defaults?

If you do, I don't know that there is a way to override other than to uncheck it

But yes, it will prevent your settings from being overridden, I just tried it here to make certain

Use tool's step, peck, coolant in unchecked.

I'm not concerned with speeds and feeds. Say I have a finish surface toolpath with a .005 stepover. If I change tools, the stepover gets changed to .060 (or something) and I have to go reset it back to .005, along with other parameters. That's what I want to eliminate. It wasn't always this way. I think I noticed it when I jumped from X6 to X8.

Anyone?

the only way I know to keep that from happening is to go to paramaters right click on the existing tool and change the size  then on prompt create new assembly.....

If you edit the tool by right clicking on the tool itself the paras change.

but it only works for that one op...if you have multiple ops that use the same tool your screwed...

I have found this issue a PITA also...

I use snipIt to take a pic of the paras pages so I can get all the paras back the same...

It is especially a PITA on the Opti paths where you must do all those calculations to make the steps work out right...

there might be a way but I havent found it yet.

Are your step overs and depth of cut defined in your tool? If so those parameters in toolnpath will change when selecting different tools.

If they have those settings defined in the tool, they are the default settings that came with MC. I have never set those values.

Even if they are set in the tool, doesn't "Use tool's step, peck, coolant" determine if those values are used or not? I have that box unchecked so those values should not even come into play.

Murlin, it didn't always work like this. I'm sure it was an "improvement" :rolleyes: somewhere between X6 and X8 that caused this change in behavior.

There are only about 4 different settings that get changed on me and your method sounds like more trouble than it's worth, though I do appreciate your input. It's all just unnecessary work, that's what annoys me. It's always when I'm in a hurry and forget to make the changes, only to find out when I'm at the machine doing a finish surface path with a .06 stepover. AARRGGG! :realmad:

Murlin, it didn't always work like this. I'm sure it was an "improvement" :rolleyes: somewhere between X6 and X8 that caused this change in behavior.

There are only about 4 different settings that get changed on me and your method sounds like more trouble than it's worth, though I do appreciate your input. It's all just unnecessary work, that's what annoys me. It's always when I'm in a hurry and forget to make the changes, only to find out when I'm at the machine doing a finish surface path with a .06 stepover. AARRGGG! :realmad:

rour...the optipaths have 2 pages of paras that get changed...

Use tool's step, peck, coolant in unchecked.

I'm not concerned with speeds and feeds. Say I have a finish surface toolpath with a .005 stepover. If I change tools, the stepover gets changed to .060 (or something) and I have to go reset it back to .005, along with other parameters. That's what I want to eliminate. It wasn't always this way. I think I noticed it when I jumped from X6 to X8.

There is no fix for that.

My "workaround" is copy toolpaths, reselect needed tool, compare parameters between toolpaths, adjust what has changed and delete the original toolpath...

"kinda sucks"...I agree

I do not know if this will help Thad, I too mostly import operations when programming. I have found if I select a different tool from a library every thing changes as you said. If I drag a tool from a different operation onto the one I am editing, the DOC and step-overs stay the same only the speeds and feeds get updated. We have from Matl checked in our tool settings.

Thanks bigprody. Unfortunately, most of my parts are small and only have a few tools, so I don't always have the other tool in the file already to drag. But I'll try to remember that when the situation does arise. :thumbup:

We have thousands of files that we have to change all the tools when we first open them in X9.  The non-cutting geometry from X7 doesn't transfer  to X9 and we need that info for verifying.  It's not too bad when its a graphite part but on our HSM parts its critical.  If I think about it I write the parameters down before changing to the new tool but I usually end up re-opening the X7 file to get the original numbers.  Its getting to be a real PITA!

• 2 months later...