Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How did you get here? (into programming?)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on guys/gals. You are among friends here. I had scholarship to science /math school in durham,nc... and then to mit...

Tell yours and I'll tell mine.

Hi, I am Jimmy, I am a CNC programmer... When I'm not programming, I think about the next time I can program...I see G2's and 3's when I drive, mow the grass.....

Come on guys/gals. So far mold100 is the only one telling all with the aliens.(I myself hear voices)

Jimmy

aka sockless jimmy joe -- sorry gcode and hardmill

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Come on guys/gals. So far mold100 is the only one telling all with the aliens.(I myself hear voices)

I told all, c'mon biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Oh, I forgot to add that one of my High School Teachers said i'd never amount to a hill of feces (actually the word was an expletive but I'm trying to cut back on that these days). Funny thing... I make about $20k more than he does now. Funny how tha works... biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I was production engineer in the former USSR.

Emigrated to Israel in 1991.

Worked as a all-dirty-workes-to-do-in-the-shop,

washed dishes at nights,moved furniture,was a backer , took a CNC training course .

From 1993 operator-machinist ,from 1994 also

programmer .

Worked at the job shop for 3 years ,after that

in molds production in various plants .

Worked 3 years in kibbuts .

At my current place solo programmer , solo machinist , solo operator ,sometimes designer 2 ,2 cnc mills ,also work from time to time on every piece of conventional machine we have .

I am happy that I like my new profession so much .

It is a luck to do what you like !

Iskander teh lonely wolf

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Actually I preferred drugs, BMX, and Surfing to school. I was a pretty good Surfer and Freestyle BMX'r back in the day. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I wish I had those brain cells back, I might actually have REALLY amounted to something, but I'll take where I'm at. I love what I do, I love the whole Manufacturing Environment so it's all good. biggrin.gif

LMAO Scott! Great cartoon.

I started pgramming long hand G code for a Hitachi 4NE lathe, and a G&L horizontal bar around 1990. We had no CAD support on nights, so all geometry had to be calculated with pencil, paper and calculator. I started taking math classes at age 30 and enjoyed it. Got into macro programming on a Toyoda FH100T making film extrusion dies. Now programming Mazatrol, Mastercam, and macros on Mazak Integrex 300Y.

If it's not too late to post this: I took "plastics technology" in high school which exposed me to manual machining. After a 4 year stint in the Air Force I signed on with a plastics company here in Round Rock TX and learned about CNC stuff. They used Smartcam and Mastercam so I spent "off-the-clock" hours learning smartcam. All this was done as a way to make money while I patiently waited to be discovered as a huge blockbusting rock star. Well, I'm still here and it's been almost 19 years since I got out of the Air Force. I worked at a metal shop for 7 years and WAS flourishing at a quartz machining shop in Austin for the past year and a half when my army reserve unit was activated in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Now I'm at Ft. Hood waiting to ship out. They allowed us to come home for Christmas which is why I'm even able to post tonight. Even though I am technically a generator mechanic (52D). I unofficially serve as the machinist (44E).

Hopefully I'll fall right back in line when I get back from the desert. I wonder if v10. will be out by then.

JohnA

after being asked to leave high school (I didn't play well with others)I bounced around in factory jobs for a couple of years. perfectly happy. Then I met this girl.Pretty soon I'm gettin' married, figure I have to get serious now. I took a job in a lab., shoveling sh!t (honest). The company made agglomeration eqpmt.Big compacters and roll presses for making briquets. Anyone that wanted to compact their products for easy disposal, movement or whatever would send us samples and we would mix them with various things like pitch, mollases or other bonding agents and run tests to see if our eqpmt. would do what they required. We once compacted chicken crap (believe it or not). Connected to the lab was the mfg. facility that I would walk through once in a while thinkin' this is where the money is biggrin.gif So one day they buy an NC ( yes tape) lathe, with a GE550 control (yes tubes).I think the youngest man in the shop was about 50 and they were all from the "old" country. No one wants anything to do with it, so I guess the foreman saw me and figured I'd do anything for a buck and asks if I want to learn ( $ yeah baby! a trade ). I ran an engine lathe for a couple weeks on nights, learn that long stringy chips are sharp (and hot),I am now a huge fan of chip control, the next thing I know I'm setting up the NC lathe. Man that was cool. A month later I'm in Ann Arbor Michigan at MDSI learning compact II ( ah yes, languge based programming) and writing programs on a frieden flexowriter ( remember timeshare computing ?).Those were the days, when men were men and sheep were scared. That co. moves to Santa Rosa calif., I go with them, stay 2 weeks, hate it there (no Vienna hot dogs)and move back to Chicago with my wife and 3 weeks away yet 1st baby. Take a job where I am ( 20 years last august) and start programming a mill. We buy Smartcam and use that until a year ago when we switched to Mastercam. My grandfather (rest in peace Opa, I think about you all the time) worked for bell & howell in their prototype shop for 30 years so I guess it must be in my blood. I still have all of his tools, good as new after 55 years combined use. I'm the only programmer here so I've had no one to learn from or bounce ideas off of until I found this forum a couple of weeks ago. It's pretty much hit and miss, then try again until it comes out right. I only work in 2D so most of you guys are way over my head, but your posts and old threads have solved many a mystery for me already. smile.gif

This was a very cool thread. Thanks for reading.

Mike

p.s. Didn't mean to insult anyone from calif. I'm just a midwestener at heart I suppose.