Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New Mastercam Auto Toolpath

robk

robk,

The program allows the user to 'map' Mastercam operations to level names contained in MC9, DXF or DWG files. This process is commonly referred to as layer mapping. The operations used in this process need to be saved in an OP9 data file. We call a group of level names mapped to a group of operations a machining strategy.

The program lets you select a list of files to batch toolpath; you can select a folder or individual files. The program systematically imports each file, scans each named level in each file and, when a named level is recognized from the active strategy being used, the operation that is mapped to it is automatically applied to all the geometry on that level.

You can create any number of machining strategies based on your needs. Below is a screenshot of the strategy explorer that lists all of my machining strategies. There is a lot of flexibility and functionality with this program and it is describe in detail in the programs help file.

StrategyExplorer.JPG

We do this now with another software package and Cabinetvision. It works nicely, although some functions are primitive and lacking control.

I trust that MC will give more control of toolpath, RPM, Feeds, etc. than what we have now.

I use it for some applications, others are still easier the old fashion way.

Nice addition.

cool.gif

ScottyB.

Pete,

The Mastercam ATP program will process Cabinet Vision files, but as you know there is no provision for reading in their cutlist at this time. What you can do in the meantime is manually separate each part by material by putting each file in its applicable material folder.

Acme_CNCRun23 (Job folder)

|

|--------------------- ½ Melamine <- Material #1

|

|--------------------- ¾ Melamine <- Material #2

|

|--------------------- ½ Ply <- Material #3

Each of the material folders shown above should contain all the part drawings for that material so now you can run the program on each material and automatically nest them. This does mean you are not fully automating the process but it is still a lot faster than manually toolpathing each file

Oh, you might want to check and see if CV can export a job already seperated by material then you'll be sorted.

[ 12-17-2003, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Mick from CNC Software, Inc. ]

ScottyB,

The operations that you use for your machining strategies are exactly what you have defined and saved to your operations file (OP9) including leads, depths of cut and so on, as you can imagine this offers a lot of flexability.

You can also over-ride the speeds and feeds for a given material when nesting by a percentage of the original operations, this is handy if you are using the same group of operations but on a material that you may need to decrease or increase the speed and feed.

Scott, if you don't mind my asking what are you currently using with CV?

[ 12-17-2003, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Mick from CNC Software, Inc. ]

A Cabinetvision and KCDW link are great, but there's probably 1,000 seats of Solidworks out there for every seat of Cabinetvision and KCDW. What we really need is a robust link between Solidworks and Mastercam.

It seems we're close.... Look at how we do things now:

Once you've programmed an operation, you can save this to a .op9 library.

When you encounter a similar part, you can import that operation, rechain the geometry, regen, and you're done: very handy.

But what if we had a "manager" for the .op9 library?

Let's say you have a process that you use often (for example, a tapped hole or a pocket rough/finish routine).

Now, let's say you have hundreds of these "routines" stored as .op9 library(ies).

Suppose there was a link with Solidworks that allowed you to interact with the model as it is imported to match features on the part with .op9 stored processes?

The link would start reading in the solidworks file, and it would see 1/4" holes. It would look in the library and see a 1/4-20 tapped hole process, and a 1/4" drilled hole process.

So out of the thousands of ops in my library, it sifted out and found the two most likely prospects to make the 1/4 holes, and you just pick the one that applies. Bingo, the holes are programmed.

In the case of a pocket feature, the "manager" would find the minimum internal radius of the pocket (say, 1/8"). It would then sift through the .op9 libraries and find pocket processes that finish with a 1/4" tool. I pick the one I want and I'm done (or pick the closest fit, and then just alter a few parameters).

Later you could build greater intelligence into the manager. Th manager could scan a whole directory of .mc9 files and build a .op9 library based on my history of programming practices.

The Solidworks translator could look at other information in the file to decide if the hole is tapped, drilled, or reamed. It could look at a similar programmed .mc9 file and match processes to features?

All that could come later, though. Just doing what I describe above would be huge from a user productivity standpoint.

Basically, we need to turn our way of thinking on its head and begin thinking of parts as groups of Features that we apply manufacturing processes to; not a bunch of geometry that we chain and drive a tool around.

So, we need a few things here to have a major breakthrough in productivity:

1. A "manager" for our .op libraries (think Knowledge Based Machining)

2. Feature recognition

3. Intelligent translators that can match features with processes automatically or interactively (Automatic Feature Recognition, Interactive Feature Recognition).

With these tools, a lot of our programming tasks could be automated. We would still retain our "wireframe" toolpaths for those cases where feature recognition breaks down, or there is no appropriate .op9 record, and we have to resort to muscling the toolpath to get what we want.

So, this automation between Cabinetvision & KCDW is nice. I just hope this helps shed some light and inspire thought towards the real breakthrough in productivity possible between Mastercam and Solidworks.

Sorry for the book, but I'm bullish on this.

[ 12-19-2003, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Charles Davis ]

Wow a wood machining topic. smile.gif

Mick,

We output .dxf files from CV to a Woodwop post processor which converts them to .mpr files for our Weeke PTP. Barcode labels are generated with Cutrite so we can scan the part at the Weeke.

This works very well. My only complaint is that the layer logic is primative. It would be nice if we had more control over feeds/speeds more easily.

It took us a long time to get to this point, so all in all we're happy.

ScottyB. producin' a lot of dust.

Hi

I hear you, and think you're on the right track. I have just started saving operations and applying them to new geometry whenver programming now, rather than reinventing the wheel everytime.

Actually (and only because I had no idea what I was looking at) but the surfcam (? I think it was them) guys almost had me sold on the fact that the program supposedly built on the machining knowledge of everyone, and did all the toolpaths for you. That just sounded a little too good to be true, and James came down and showed me what MC could really do, and well here I am.

The more features I see in Ver 9.1 ( i'm still on 8.1.1) the more I can't wait to see what ver. X is going to do!!

Merry Christmas

John

Is it possible for Masercam to have some basic inteligence? sort of a self learning type of thing. an on off switch to learn what I do. Lets say I import a model and spot,drill and tap 1/4-20 holes. the learn part when turned on would store the data that I did. record the Dia. of the holes I selected,record the tools I used and store this in a opp manager as Charles talked about. that way when I import another part I let the system search for that geometry and repeat what I taught it. sorta what the savr to lib does now, but save me the time of selecting geometry

[As far as I know, Solidworks does not have its own CAM system. CAMworks runs inside the Solidworks environment, but it is a product developed by Teksoft.]

I think the idea of Mastercam "remembering" what you've done is excellent.

What if there was a button in the Operations Manager, "Remember This" (or somthing like that). It would store the parameters of the operation(s) selected in a library to be searched, sorted, etc.

The idea is that when you programmed some machining process(es) that you use a lot, you tell the system to remember it.

The problem with the Op Managere "save as" is that there is no interface to help find operations of interest. You have to wade through the list and try to remember what you called something.

If there was an operations library interface that would allow sorting by the following criteria, you'd have a much more functional product:

A. Operation Type (drill, tap, Ream, face, Circle, slot, pocket, etc).

B. Finish Tool Size

C. Finish Tool Type

D. Material

Its a small step from that point to being able to automatically find features and apply (or at least recommend a short list) of manufacturing processes (one or more Operations) to make the feature.

I suspect another key here is keeping better track of our sketches. Right now, you chain something, and that info is stored in the geometry area for that single operation. This should be tagged as a sketch (group) that can be picked.

Look at how SW does things. You create a sketch. That sketch is used to create a solid. The sketch then is hidden from view; which unclutters the screen. The sketch can be opened to edit, copied, etc.

Again: The central point I'm trying to make is that right now we are taking a "bottom up" approach to programming. We basically drive toolpaths around curves or over surfaces.

We have the greatest tools in the world for doing that; no one else even comes close. I always want/need that flexibility to muscle things around.

But we need to start taking a "top-down" approach to programming; working with features and machining processes rather than curves and individual toolpaths.

We should decompose into curves and toolpaths only when features and manufacturing processes fail.

If we've got that, we've got the world by the nuts and no one will be able to touch us.