Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT - machine tool recommendation

Diedesigner

Hi all,

One of our tooling engineers is looking for a machine tool recommendation for rough/finish hard-mill machining of 3D shaped tooling that will go into a turret press. I imagine the machine tool needs to have a high rpm spindle, and heavy duty construction to dampen vibration.

Can any of you here share your experiences, both good and bad, of different brand machines you have worked with?

The one that comes to mind for me is "Hermle" though I've never run one -- I've just seen the ads in the trade publications.

Thanks,

Chris

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

There was one I was forgetting and that was the one.

Mikron.

Oh, also Kitamura is definitely worth a look as wekk.

Thanks for the reminder.

BTW Mazak was INTENTIONALLY left off that list. You said you wanted a quality machine. biggrin.giftongue.gif

Makino V55 or V77 Number 1 in my book.

I wouldnt waste my my money on a mikron when there are other machines availble, I run a HSM700

and I cant stand it, It leaks more oil than any 20 year old machine I have ever seen (bad for graphite,it makes mud), its over sensitive, No roughing ability what so ever, A V55 would eat this machine alive.It is extremely accurate(sp?)

but so are the Makinos. biggrin.gif

I have heard noting but good about the others YASDA- I heard REALLY CHA-CHING$$$$$$$$$.

Mazak pretty solid.

A good freind of mine runs a yasda-very good machine but the fanuc control is setup a little touchy compared to a mori or makino.-fanuc control

Makino-obviously-fanuc control

Matsuura-Yasnac controls are user freindly on a very well built machine

Hermle-very well built. Anyone who has made the transition to the heidenhein is a convert for life.

Roeders-High buck, very impressive. Proptietary Controller doesn't like arcs but I have a post for you.

Kitamura-good rep, no personal experience.-fanuc control

Roku-Roku-their smallest is really a high speed graphite but you bump up a size or two and your rippin.-fanuc control

I'm pretty sure you'll be very happy with any of the above for hardmilling. The dealer and service can be just as important as the machine.