Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Scales no scales

Lipstick on a pig...  I would get the scales, it can only help.  Without scales on a machine that size I would guess the error could be as large as .004-.005"?  On my VM3 'mold machine, LOL' I ran tests and measures .002" shift over an hour due to the ball screws heating and that had 40" X travel.  With multi-axis work the error is magnified big time (2X).  Make sure you get the probe and if the tolerances are tight you will need to have in-process probing to reset the offsets and minimize the error.

ran a VF7 cat50 for years. did some 80 x 20 x 15 alum landing gear spars and some Ti parts roughly the same size.

400lbs will be no problem :guitar:

personally, i would be more concerned with the durability of a Haas 5ax trunnion.

unless they've changed something they're all made with smallish worms and brass gears.

ok for positioning and the occasional swarf...but not for serious production.

if i had to choose, id take the money from the scales and get a koma 5ax on it.

Local shop I help out has a big HAAS Trunion. They are $40-50k to rebuild and right now his doesnt repeat worth a xxxx in either A or C. Its just a $40k paperweight.

Guessing he already knows about indexing the worm bushings to take the lash out, so I won't mention it.

Ask me how I know.

I know and outfit down here that is approved to do rotary rebuilds. That's usually only at the factory. Just sayin

When we inquired about Haas and asked the local dealer (haas and makino dealer) about glass scales on them, we were told that if we really needed a glass scales to just get a makino.

Like Bob said, "lipstick on a pig" LOL :-)

Having said that, out matsuura 5axis has glass scales standard :)

I cannot complain much about the place I work. We own 1 in house machine shop (where I work) and 2 outside machine shops. Unfortunately one of them before we purchased them was a HAAS only shop (heaviest influencer). Very closed minded to any kind of change when it comes to machines. I understand people not wanting multiple machines to a point, but limiting yourself to one type is to me the same as only using one type of endmill or shell mill. I do not know how many times I have told SANDVIK, WALTER, ISCAR FOR SHELL MILLS or imco, or MA FORD, or WIDIA for endmills reps that I will not keep only 1 type of endmill, drill or shellmill. I see it the same way with machine tools. Buy what meets your needs don't worry about the different controls or posts. If you really know what your doing in the long run it won't make a difference but the machines capabilities will.

• Like 1

I cannot complain much about the place I work. We own 1 in house machine shop (where I work) and 2 outside machine shops. Unfortunately one of them before we purchased them was a HAAS only shop (heaviest influencer). Very closed minded to any kind of change when it comes to machines. I understand people not wanting multiple machines to a point, but limiting yourself to one type is to me the same as only using one type of endmill or shell mill. I do not know how many times I have told SANDVIK, WALTER, ISCAR FOR SHELL MILLS or imco, or MA FORD, or WIDIA for endmills reps that I will not keep only 1 type of endmill, drill or shellmill. I see it the same way with machine tools. Buy what meets your needs don't worry about the different controls or posts. If you really know what your doing in the long run it won't make a difference but the machines capabilities will.

Fully understand about compromise between machines or cutters.

We specifically setup the business with pairs of machines, so if a job was urgent and a machine went down, we could swap the job onto the other machine and get it out with minimal disruption.

We ended up with 4 Chevaliers (all identical control/spindle/10k) and grid shifted with Z to grid table height, so any 4th axis can go on any machine and the G10 datums in the prog so load and go.

We bought 2 turning centres (Siemens shopturn) both identical makes with same chuck and VDI turret, so everything is identical for progs and tooling.

We just sold both Robodrills and now have 3x Feeler 510's with 30tools and 15k spindles - our highspeed ally cell.

It's worked really well and where we are short on people ('cus we multiman), it's easier to go from machine to machine because the buttons are all in the same place.

And when something goes wrong, fault finding is a whole lot easier because as you get to know the machines, them being the same makes it a whole lot simpler.

• Like 1

Yes, if your going to step up to the 5 axis world buy machines that are going to exceed your needs at the moment, you'll grow into them if your business thrives and grows. Keep the HAAS machine for the normal stuff but step up on the 5 axis pair them up for easy quick swaps and set ups but to ignore any other type of machine is closed minded. Now I have not been in the room when the talks have happened but I have talked to one of the programmers and it's from him I have my opinions of whats going on. Just hate to see regret in 5 years when the machines cannot deliver what is being asked of them and the work still being tried to be put on them.