Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solids chamfer question

I have a 1/2 dia pin where I have to mill an angle on one end.... for sake of argument let's call it a 26 deg.

Around the face of that angle, I need to model a .03 x 45 deg around that edge.

Everything I try says "Angle between faces varies... cannot chamfer"

I'm using X5.

It would seem like this is a very simple task, but I can't seem to figure it out for some stupid reason.

Convert to surface and use the surface to surface fillet option. Then click on the explication point and tell it you want chamfers verse surfaces. If that does work then make it a fillet and create edge curves on the fillet. Connect a line somewhere that will allow you to sweep a shape around that and you can now recreate what you need like you are machining. Run into quite a bit and on simple stuff no problem, but on a model with over 30000 surfaces I will make the radius bigger to get the correct intersection for a ball endmill then drive the center line of the surface to chamfer and call it a nice day.

I had to do it as surfaces to get it to work in Mastercam.

Here is a link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3j7l410ga5bq97j/5th%20AXIS%20SOLID%20030%20CHAMFER.mcx-9?dl=0

• Like 2

Sorry boss, no Dice

You'll have to do a Revolved Cut I believe....

Or any other decent CAD system I guess

I guess Solidworks isn't considered decent CAD, because it doesn't work there either, at least as a simple chamfer feature. 

I'm assuming you are trying to get a chamfer as would be created by a chafer tool that is in-lin with the pin (3 axis path). This is surprisingly more difficult to model than you would think. 

I guess Solidworks isn't considered decent CAD, because it doesn't work there either, at least as a simple chamfer feature. 

I'm assuming you are trying to get a chamfer as would be created by a chafer tool that is in-lin with the pin (3 axis path). This is surprisingly more difficult to model than you would think. 

I stand corrected,  I would think that would be a simple task.

Convert to surface and use the surface to surface fillet option. Then click on the explication point and tell it you want chamfers verse surfaces. If that does work then make it a fillet and create edge curves on the fillet. Connect a line somewhere that will allow you to sweep a shape around that and you can now recreate what you need like you are machining. Run into quite a bit and on simple stuff no problem, but on a model with over 30000 surfaces I will make the radius bigger to get the correct intersection for a ball endmill then drive the center line of the surface to chamfer and call it a nice day.

I had to do it as surfaces to get it to work in Mastercam.

Here is a link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3j7l410ga5bq97j/5th%20AXIS%20SOLID%20030%20CHAMFER.mcx-9?dl=0

I just tried this, and it looks like it worked! Thanks!