Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machining a Slope using a 2D tool path

Jerod Robbins

I am pretty new to mastercam but I have a pretty good understanding on how to use the software.  Returning from the mill essentials part 1 class I learned alot of cool stuff, only to return to find out we don't have the 3D part of mastercam at our shop.  I can program pretty much anything on one plane but am having problems getting my tool to cut a slope.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

post-63823-0-59369900-1453210291_thumb.jpg

Without 3D Mastercam that is going to be a challenge. Can do it with 2D, but need to make each step a contour line projected onto the surface. Then pay with the depth of the tool to have it cut the 3D part. Reminds me of pencil and paper like I learned back in the late 80's in High School Machine Shop class. A bigger picture or a file would help someone help you.

• Like 1

i would reccomend a toolpath found under, toolpaths --> wireframe --> ruled.

by using a wireframe rule​d toolpath you can easily cut that surface.

heres a simple sample - https://www.dropbox.com/s/fsiejggl946sp86/T.mcx-9?dl=0

keep in mind for lead in/outs you may need to manipulate your geometry since this path is a bit old and outdated.

Also by updating to mill3d through your reseller you will gain access to a whole arsenal of 3d toolpath that can handle parts of this nature more easily and better.

• Like 1

If you want to cut a "straight" slope then you can do it easily with 2d contour. On the depth cuts page input and angle and is a ball em touched off at center of ball. Do the trig on the step over to get it to stop exactly where you want it to.

• Like 1