Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

need advice on simultaneous 4th axis part

steveo25

So we have this part that we need to do on our haas indexer that is mounted on our fadal 3 axis vmc. i just wanted to get some ideas from you guys on how I should approach the cut outs on the part. I have done somewhat similar things on a mill turn with the c axis contour but on the milling side I have not done anything like this. the part is 6061-t651 aluminum i appreciate any input. thank you 

4th axis sim.mcx-9

it's been about 20 years since i've done simultaneous on a haas indexer/control box.

you'll need to calculate the feed rates between the box (deg/min) and mill (in/min) for any Y/A moves.The feed override on the CNC must stay @100%

Like MKD I did it 20 years ago, but that is not a part I would even attempt it with. Get a true 4th Axis or give it to a shop with a true 4th Axis. A Mill/Turn would eat this thing up. I would estimate about a 8 to 9 minute run time out of the material on a MT machine. It would come 100% deburred and ready to go to Outside process.

Best of luck, but not going to be easy and plan on scrapping some till you get a process dialed down.

I do things like this all of the time on the 4th axis... Mastercam handles it nicely. I would have put some toolpaths on your file, but the it came in with missing surfaces... if you want to send me a good file, I'd be glad to show you how I'd approach it. I really don't think you need to make it a simultaneous/true 4th axis motion part, just 3+1 IMO.

Orient the part with one of the pockets facing up symmetrical in the Z-axis... rough the pocket, finish the pocket, transform/rotate all of your paths around the left plane 7 times... done.

• Like 1

I do things like this all of the time on the 4th axis... Mastercam handles it nicely. I would have put some toolpaths on your file, but the it came in with missing surfaces... if you want to send me a good file, I'd be glad to show you how I'd approach it. I really don't think you need to make it a simultaneous/true 4th axis motion part, just 3+1 IMO.

Orient the part with one of the pockets facing up symmetrical in the Z-axis... rough the pocket, finish the pocket, transform/rotate all of your paths around the left plane 7 times... done.

You missed the part where he wants to use a Haas indexer on a fadal. The part is not that difficult looking, but triggering an mcode to index the indexer (not much there, just set up your post), BUT having to program all the moves in the indexer beforehand sounds like a bad day to me.

You missed the part where he wants to use a Haas indexer on a fadal. The part is not that difficult looking, but triggering an mcode to index the indexer (not much there, just set up your post), BUT having to program all the moves in the indexer beforehand sounds like a bad day to me.

I see... but if the "indexer" is not wired into and communicating with the Fadal... then 3+1 seems like the only way to do this.

Thanks for the replies! Now I am thinking this part is better suited for our lathe shop on the mill turn. I was more or less curious to see if it was an easy task on the indexer but it sounds like it may not be.

I see what you are saying here. Wouldnt you need to do a 3d contour or something to hit that little radius all the way around the bottom? And wouldnt you need to use a ball endmill? Thanks for the advice

• 2 weeks later...