Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Using MCX on more than 1 PC

paulfell

I have pasted a recent email exchange (read below) to and from my MCX supplier in the UK, it's self explanatory if you read through, any help appreciated?

My original enquiry :-

Hi, At present, we have one PC that we use Mastercam on, with 1 dongle. There maybe a time in the near future where it would be beneficial to do some programming at home on a laptop, I know we could probably use the current dongle – but this would not be practical – as it may still be required in work from time to time . I need to know if we can use different computers under our current license and if so how does this work, I am not talking about using 2 computers at the same time – as I know this would probably require another seat, I mean a way where Mastercam can be used by a remote laptop – whilst the main pc (with dongle) is not being used – no rush on this – but if you could let me know – thanks – Paul Fell (North West Precision)

Supplier response:-

There is a home learning edition available but with this unfortunately

saved files will not open up in a licensed version of Mastercam.

It is potentially possible by creating a VPN connection on your

computer, this has been done with varying degrees of success, this

unfortunately is not officially supported by Mastercam.

My response to supplier:-

Thanks - a bit disappointing really as I would have thought this was quite a common need, I know HLE is no good for purpose I require, not sure what a VPN connection is - but will try to research and seek advice on the emastercam forum. - thanks

• Like 1

He said in his OP -

I am not talking about using 2 computers at the same time – as I know this would probably require another seat,

Ive read about someone getting this working through a VPN (Gcode?) but I think to use a VPN you need a floating license?   Ive had varying success running it through realvnc (which blows by the way) but its got me out of a jam a couple of times when I couldn't be at work and needed to make a quick change. 

• Like 1

He said in his OP -

Ive read about someone getting this working through a VPN (Gcode?) but I think to use a VPN you need a floating license?   Ive had varying success running it through realvnc (which blows by the way) but its got me out of a jam a couple of times when I couldn't be at work and needed to make a quick change. 

accessing a nethasp  via VPN works really well and is easy to set up as long as you have a decent broad band connection at both home and work

Some time ago I saw an advertisement for a networked box that allowed multiple machines to access the same dongle over a network

I have no idea if this actually works or not, but if it did, you would still be limited to one user at a time on a one seat hasp

The bottom line... if you need multiple users you must buy multiple licenses..

This can help (And I used it with TopSolid in my previous job - It´s the only of its kind certified by Missler software)

http://www.seh-technology.com/products/usb-dongle-server.html

It´s simply a dongle server where you can attach multiple dongles from multiple systems. The only convenience it will bring in your case is to allow you to work from home and open MC on your PC but get the license from the dongle server in your company, via VPN. You don´t have to take the dongle home with you (It can be a regular single seat dongle - Not a NETHasp). It can even stay in a server room. (Like it was in our case - For security reasons we didn´t want people carrying dongles to avoid filling hard to explain police reports to get replacements.).

It WILL NOT serve you more licenses than you are entitled to in your dongle. That is, if a peer is using MC in the company, no MC for you.

If all you have to do is get the license, you should not have trouble with performance because the broadcast between a license server and the MC in you PC is minimal, it´s just metadata, a few bytes every x minutes.

All your MC configuration files, posts and everything must be stored locally if you want to have a normal performance. If MC attempt to get any file on your company network, then you will suffer from performance.

• Like 1

accessing a nethasp  via VPN works really well and is easy to set up as long as you have a decent broad band connection at both home and work

Some time ago I saw an advertisement for a networked box that allowed multiple machines to access the same dongle over a network

I have no idea if this actually works or not, but if it did, you would still be limited to one user at a time on a one seat hasp

The bottom line... if you need multiple users you must buy multiple licenses..

This is the way it was setup at my last job, it was setup on the server, all the PCs were connected to the server and it would access the Nethasp.  Of course you still need one seat per computer, we had only one seat of solid(I know...smh) so if someone was using it they had to "release" it from their PC in order to use it on another PC.

Thanks for replies - I can't simply take the dongle home as I work nights - finishing Friday morning and not back in until Monday night - the dongle will be used Friday day and Monday day - but leaves Pc free over the weekend - hence - I could do some extra work then if required - so only 1 seat required as not used simultaneously - sounds like it's possible with VPN - we use a Nethasp - one reply says don't use - another says this is ok - anyone want to clarify this? - thanks

If you have a Nethasp then you can certainly access the license over a VPN.  

First make sure that the Nethasp license server is installed and actively serving the license to your local network.  If you are using the Nethasp connected to you current computer then you may need to install the Nethasp license manager.  

Second, setup a VPN on your network.  You may be able to do this through the router or through your server.  If you have an IT department/company contact them, they will know exactly what you need.  

From your remote location (house, hotel room, coffee shop) you will connect to the VPN through that locations internet service.  Once you are connected, it is like your computer is actually in the office and Mastercam should be able to find the license.  

One more thing, if Mastercam does not locate the license, modify the nethasp.ini in c:\program files\mcamx9\, and specify the server IP address.

There are many customers who access Mastercam licenses via VPN but if it doesn't work for your company your reseller will not be able to help.