Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Barrel Mill with LENS

justchips

Hello all, 

Anyone use these type of cutters? I want to give a mill with a Large End Radius a Shot to save on stopovers with surfacing. I'm using cuts along a curve keep a constant tilt angle on my ballmill. I see EMUGE has cutters. Any other options off the shelf? Or companies that have experience making specials of this type?

EMUGE stocks a 12mm diameter tool with a 25mm end radius...

Moduleworks has added support for Barrel Mills. If you try creating a new Tool in X9, you'll see the Barrel Mill tool type.

This tool will work for the "Moduleworks" developed 5X paths. That means that Curve,  Swarf, Flow, MSurf, and Rotary are not supported, but the "MW" 5X paths are. (It doesn't look like the MW Swarf tool path will work either.)

I tried a Parallel Cuts tool path successfully, and was able to control the Tool Axis to adjust the contact point on the Barrel Radius. I really which the stupid "forum limit" for uploads wasn't screwed up, so I can post a picture.

Bottom line: Mastercam does support this type of tool, but the tool path options you can use are somewhat limited. (Actually, the MW toolpaths are in many ways superior to the "old" 5X technology).

Hello all, 

Anyone use these type of cutters? I want to give a mill with a Large End Radius a Shot to save on stopovers with surfacing. I'm using cuts along a curve keep a constant tilt angle on my ballmill. I see EMUGE has cutters. Any other options off the shelf? Or companies that have experience making specials of this type?

EMUGE stocks a 12mm diameter tool with a 25mm end radius...

Swiftcarb makes the type with the large axial radius. They call them hem stitching endmills.

• Like 1

For anyone who might have missed my earlier post, there are several toolpaths that support Barrel Mills in X9. You just have to use the paths that support that cutter type.

I believe morph will work but not with a custom tool modeled with a large end radius... i havent gotten any toolpaths to do this yet.

Thanks for covering the Multiaxis side, Colin.. 

Our own toolpaths also support barrels & feed mills, look for anything in the "3d" toolpath area ("Surface" toolpaths in X9) to use them except for flowline. Both roughing and finishing.  They should even be working correctly to undercut with the Contour toolpath. 

Just a note that a LENS setup is really not a barrel mill, it's more a high-feed mill, but man is it ever fuzzy where that line crosses over!

Thanks for covering the Multiaxis side, Colin.. 

Our own toolpaths also support barrels & feed mills, look for anything in the "3d" toolpath area ("Surface" toolpaths in X9) to use them except for flowline. Both roughing and finishing.  They should even be working correctly to undercut with the Contour toolpath. 

Just a note that a LENS setup is really not a barrel mill, it's more a high-feed mill, but man is it ever fuzzy where that line crosses over!

Thanks for the info Aaron. Yes, lines are being blurred all the time. If you look at Emuge's website, they actually list four distinct types of Circle Segment cutting tools. I really love their tools. Can you talk with Rich about getting an "Emuge" tool library created? That would sure be helpful. We've got Helical Solutions available in X9, but I don't see any "manufacturer" tool databases in the 2017 Beta. Hopefully they will be added back in before the actual release...

Can you define a feedmill with a axial radius? Or is there another way you can go about defining these tools to use for surfacing paths?

• Like 1