Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tricky Hole

Here is a job I don't come across often.  There is an existing hole and I have to enlarge it but off center.  And it is small diameter and deep in stainless.  So let's say the existing hole is about .180 and the new hole is .230 but it is .025 off center of the existing hole, so we can't just drill it.  Would not be a problem but it is over 2 inches deep in steel.  

I considered plugging the hole but pressing a 2 inch long plug into the hole was not appealing.

I did try it with a long 3/16 endmill but the tool gave up when it was about 1.5 deep. It must have been recutting chips.

I might try it again with a shorter endmill to cut half way down and then the long endmill to do the other half.

How small is "small"? Guhring has 7d &10d coolant thru straight flute drills starting at 3mm. You could pilot bore your diameter with an end mill and finish the depth with a similar drill.

A 10d straight flute carbide drill might work.  Do they stock them, or is there a lead time? This has to be done right now.

Lots of workable ideas here.

I'll add one:

You might be surprised what you can get away with using an old beat up .250 endmill. If your shop regularly uses regrinds find one at .230.

The reason a drill won't work is because the tip angle is going to push radially. The dish on and endmill totally prevents that. Works equally well starting a hole on an angle wall or punching holes in stainless tubing for space x lobby desplay models ( lol, inside joke)

Edit. Ok it's silly to regularly regrind down to .25 dia, but getting a custom grind for this one application using a beat carbide em that would otherwise be thrown away, is not a terrible idea.

• Like 1

I'd look at EDM... by you're  time you're done buying endmills and screwing around with this,

the EDM's shops lot charge will look very reasonable

Believe me, I would do that if I could.  But those choices are not in my job description  :thumbdown:   The traveler says machining center so that's where it will be done.

Lots of workable ideas here. I'll add one: You might be surprised what you can get away with using an old beat up .250 endmill. If your shop regularly uses regrinds find one at .230. The reason a drill won't work is because the tip angle is going to push radially. The dish on and endmill totally prevents that. Works equally well starting a hole on an angle wall or punching holes in stainless tubing for space x lobby desplay models ( lol, inside joke) Edit. Ok it's silly to regularly regrind down to .25 dia, but getting a custom grind for this one application using a beat carbide em that would otherwise be thrown away, is not a terrible idea.

Might try that.

Harvey has flat bottom counterboring tools that works nicely in aluminum. I haven't tried them in stainless but they should do well.

pages 38 & 39 in their last catalog.

opps, missed the over 2 inches. nevermind

I just looked in their catalog.  That might work if we grind clearance on the shank.