Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Taper as a Ratio

TheePres

Draw a line 1" long, offset it by .150, draw and angled line from lower left point to upper right point

Measure angle from angled line to one of the straight lines

Basic trig and have to agree with Jeff it is diametrical not radial. Do they have a mating part? Remember years ago having to cut tapers on shafts for taper roller bearings. The check was prushing blue or now called Hi-Spot. It is a d y k e m that doesn't dry and is used for checking the contact of 2 features together. Sometimes there is to the print and there is to the part. Where form, fit and function come into play.

Here is link to get this unpolitical correct product. http://markingdevices.americanmarking.com/viewitems/xxxxm-layout-staining-fluid/hi-spot-blue?

Thank You, 

All the responses were very helpful in pointing me in correct direction.

I drew up both as radial and diametrical, I am going with diameter as radially would wipe out counterbore at right end as shown in sketch.

Ron, yes i recall also using the blue in my grinding days.

The mating part would explain why no tolerances are called out, odd that no note is mentioned on print.

post-207-0-71486400-1462982678_thumb.jpg

Thank You, 

All the responses were very helpful in pointing me in correct direction.

I drew up both as radial and diametrical, I am going with diameter as radially would wipe out counterbore at right end as shown in sketch.

Ron, yes i recall also using the blue in my grinding days.

The mating part would explain why no tolerances are called out, odd that no note is mentioned on print.

Yes since it is not called out on the print I would put it back on the customer and see if there is a mating part it must conform to. I have also see as little as .0002" difference create a problem with form, fit and function. Problem with not having customers with the correct experience sometimes they over think it or in this case under think it. I would be pushing back getting some clarification from the customer before making anything. You can make it to the print all day long, but if there is to much room for interpretation then you must get that sorted out. I have had parts made to prints all day long and meet the requirements of the print get rejected by customers. Where getting it all sorted out now limits problems down the road.

FYI

On Cat V Flange and BT tool holders the tapered shank is 7:24 and that's on diameter so per side its' 3.5/24 which works out to 8.297 per side angle (ATAN3.5/24), which is greater than the included 15 degree locking angle such that it is self releasing taper.

Cheers!

Len Dye

edit: sorry, should've checked my work instead of going of memory