Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Modeling threaded holes in Mastercam

jlw™

I've come to prefer modeling in Mastercam over Solid Edge.  I've had to do a significant amount more modeling than usual over the last month or two and it's got me missing a few of the bells and whistles of a CAD package.  When using Mastercam I usually model my solids with all threaded holes done to thread minor.  I'm coming to miss the hole wizards that Solidworks and Solid Edge have.  I realize it's purely cosmetic but I'd like to see the drill point in the bottom.  Sometimes I want to see the drill point to see how close it is to breaking out or going into another feature.

Does Mcam have a drill wizard I'm missing some how or do you guys even bother with it?  Just curious if any one else prefers to see the drill points in the bottom of holes and how you guys model threaded holes in Mcam.

• Like 2

Nope, no wizard....I model my holes to the minor diameter and simple extrude to my full dia depth....

You could if you were anal enough draw your drill point geometry and use a revolved extrude, as far as modeling threads.....sure it can be done using sweep....

The only question that I have ever asked someone is why?  you don't need it, it's purely cosmetic and imo, a waste of time....

Nope, no wizard....I model my holes to the minor diameter and simple extrude to my full dia depth....

You could if you were anal enough draw your drill point geometry and use a revolved extrude, as far as modeling threads.....sure it can be done using sweep....

The only question that I have ever asked someone is why?  you don't need it, it's purely cosmetic and imo, a waste of time....

How 'bout FBM or FBM Drill. Thats a great point. most engineers draw threaded holes correctly. Run a search for 0.422 holes and ask: Do you want to .500-13 this hole FBM adds a tap.

Or .49989 holes ask: Want a reamer or bore or Cir int?

SolidWorks 2016 wizard now has the helix kind of cool

post-69131-0-59135100-1465128846_thumb.jpg

Feature based drilling will pick up on the minor diameters correctly, everything you either teach it and save your routine of define it if it's new....

Then you'll have the option when that hole size comes up again

If you have a 5 place decimal hole, time for a jig borer

Well, as stated I model mine to minor, to full depth. I don't care about seeing the helix of the thread. The thing I miss is seeing the drill point when it's close to breaking into another feature. Second, you have two diameters from SE. You get the minor to drill depth and a second diameter of thread to thread depth. So you have information for both depths. I agree, I wouldn't and don't waste time on sweeping threads but I digress. Just a little something I've come to miss.

You can model drill points in Mastercam by doing an Extrude Cut at the bottom of the hole

and  using draft angle where draft angle = (drill point angle/2)

More trouble than it's worth in most cases though

A hole wizard would be a nice enhancement to Mastercam Solids though

• Like 2

Yeah, when I'm worried about how close it will be I revolve it. Never thought about draft, thanks for that one. That's really all I was getting at, it'd be a nice enhancement.

I often see drawings from before CAD times and there are frequently mistakes that cause interference or intersect where it should not.

Yeah, when I'm worried about how close it will be I revolve it. Never thought about draft, thanks for that one. That's really all I was getting at, it'd be a nice enhancement.

I often see drawings from before CAD times and there are frequently mistakes that cause interference or intersect where it should not.

You can also extrude your hole to the depth you want it drilled to, then do a angle/distance chamfer on the bottom edge. So you want a 1/2-13 drilled to 1" deep and want to show the drill point correctly, extrude a .422 (or .4219 if you want) hole 1" deep, select distance&angle chamfer>bottom edge of hole>angle 31deg (or whatever drill you use) and distance of .211 (half the hole diameter).

I did a .50 hole in the example....

post-51233-0-24951800-1465217291_thumb.png

the pro to swept threads is they look really cool and realistic, but the con is they lead to huge heavy files. I would much rather work with cosmetic threads than realistic modeled threads just due to the way my computer performs and handles the file. 

I must admit though I have quite a few part files from my early days with CAD/CAM with swept threads on them because of the Coolness factor but now I like my computer to perform well with the file and not feel sluggish.