Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mcam 2017 work offset bug or just a change?

Not sure if this is a bug  or just the way they are going to do things from here on out.

Here is a small warning to anyone else that may do things the way I do it sometimes

Work offset numbering under the same plane info  (top,top,top) for instance.

I have a fixture holds 2 parts 8 ft long 3" I have to hold a +/- tolerance of .005" I wrote the program all off one fixture offset (51 operations)

I found with temperature and machine conditions holding this tolerance to be very difficult and over 8 ft thermal expansion was quite an issue.

So in X8 or 9  cant remember which I changed the part to have 5 different offset G54-G58 and G59 for op2

To do this I just changed the work offset under the Planes tab in my toolpath parameters. 

I have been doing this since mastercam V9 if I remember correctly. No issues.

(look at image work offset numbering to see my setup)

yesterday had to make a modification to my program took me about an hour generally just copy past rechain geometry all went well.

Last op was a new feature I had no previous toolpath for so i wrote the toolpath changed my work offset and I get a the pop up showed in the other pic (work offset change)

There was no warning saying it was going to happen would you like to proceed nothing just one saying "hey we changed your whole program!"

so being to far in to go back I had to recreate all my planes as a copy of top then label them as G54-59  then replace the planes in all of my toolpaths. 

One other strange part about this is I can modify the existing workoffsets no problem from the planes tab under the toolpath parameters. Only when adding a new toolpath and changing the offset there will it change the whole works.

So  I was luck this was only 51 toolpaths I know some of my programs are much more and I know some other people out there have even more complex programs than I.

Hope this helps someone out there before they have to do the same thing I did.

post-18258-0-24001500-1467812920_thumb.png

post-18258-0-59487800-1467812945_thumb.png

Haven't run into that issue, but I got into a habit many years ago of using the plane manager to control my workoffsets, verses using the operations. You have your planes defined then you should take the extra step and define your workoffset. Still drives me crazy that Zero is 54 and 1 is 55 in Mastercam. We follow what customers are using, but my preference is 54 is 54 and 55 is 55 and 1 is P1 and 48 is P48.

• Like 6

This burned me as well. I am a habitual WCS copier and I had to break myself from this habit and start using "Create From" in the Plane Manager instead of "Copy". Don't try to machine a feature with G57 when it's programmed to G55 :)

I found a fix to this thanks to my good friends at Inhouse solutions.

hope this helps 

just go into your Regedit.exe and follow these pics

there is a pop up that wont pop up  unless you do this.

I had not noticed, but people have asking for the ability to turn that warning off for a decade at least

I guess, depending on how you use the software, that warning is a good thing