Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Recommended toolpath - Pic Attached

MIKO ELLO

Flowline would be my 1st choice. Operation for each radius if you have morph between 2 curves that would also be a solid choice.

25imp what kind of machine are you running this on? I had an old HBM from WWII I could get 80 imp out of back in the early 90's so you have peaked my interest on why your machine is so slow.

• Like 1

Is there a way to keep the toolpath from jumping around? 

This is the Flowline toolpath

Look at your flowlines when changing the direction and make sure they all flow the same direction if not then need to match the same direction within the toolpath. Old school trick is the kick up the gap settings to 10000% and that will keep the tool down. Use follow surface and zig-zag with those setting. Need to go into the filter settings and make sure you have them turned all the way up for get arcs. A sample file so someone can show you on your part would be helpful.

You could create curves on edges and use a Wireframe Swept 3D toolpath.  It's a bit more work for you but will generate the smoothest code.

Wireframe  toolpath are so underused!  I've been using MC since V4(no not X4, V4, DOS based), and I still use it a lot.

• Like 2

For radii like this, I've always found blend to be the best option

You choose the "spiral" cut method and you get super clean n' easy tool motion.

The way it's done is by projecting the top and bottom edge of the rad to your working plane(for simplicity sake...),offset the contours accordingly, choose the 2 profiles to blend, and choose the entire model as drive.

What makes this method superior to others, is that you can increase or decrease how far the tool "rolls" by simply offsetting the contour.

Tool goes too deep over the edge??? Just offset the contour and regen.

You want to go an extra .05" overlap on the top face??? just offset the contour and regen.

Best of luck.

Jay

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...