Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 axis tooling

cherokeechief79

Absolutely on dovetail vises.

Not to mention, you typically need longer reach tooling for 5 axis work. I would definitely consider longer tool holders. Especially some that are designed for 5 axis that don't use collet nuts but pull the collet from the back.

thanks,

ive looked at these and there are many styles and sizes.

is there one more widely used by you guys than others?

I can get others as the jos arrive but is there one that is a good all around vice?

this is mainly for first article prototypes and not production.

I would get the V562 from 5th...and the riser. as long as your parts aren't too large

material costs 300...so 300 labor for a perfect riser....anodized .......hrmmmm...  worth 300 to me...

I would make the riser out of 17-4 or 4140 over buying an aluminum one. It would be worth the extra cost hands down. I would also go with the SS model Raptor dovetail vise. 

Well, apparently I didn't expound far enough. I've seen two bought risers and been in on making probably 20 or more.

Also, the alu riser is prone to issues simply because it's alu. They get knicks and dings so easy from handling. I've seen them made out of 13-8, 17-4, P20 and 4140. The P20 seemed to dampen the most. Pretty much whatever good material you have of extra stock could be suitable and if it's a drop or leftover you're saving money.

And if the material alone is the same cost as the end product... where do you think it's made?

I will second the Lang Makro grip. we just equipped 2 new 5 axis Matsuura's with them. very nice. not cheap. but very nice. we got the quick change subplates and the vises and we love them. I also like the Raptor tooling for production jobs. have not popped a part out of the dovetails yet.

We are still working on tool holders for our machines. myself and 1 other went to the montreal trade shop couple of months ago to look at and get info on tool holding and such. when we got back owner told us to make list of what we wanted and he would work on it. well he gave it to the manager to take care of. well he just called his favorite supplier and told him we needed tooling. so they decided to buy $90k of Sandvik Capto tooling in every size and shape we could never use. we got like 4 of everything from the catalog. but nothing we need. now we are fighting to run jobs with nothing. the owner is pissed. I will be following this post to see what everyone else thinks.

got to love when 2 bosses have different views on things. one wants the best to make it great. and the other wants to make his tooling rep the best because its great for him. kick backs I think. but I did not say that ok. lol.

I'm not a fan of raptor dovetail workholding. We started with them several years back and bought few dozens. There are better options. Lang blows them out of the water.

However, the tooling will be driven by the parts you intend to run. 

I'm using the Lang Makro Grip 77 on a Quick-Point plate on the TR160-Y trunnion.  You can swap the vises out in a few seconds, and they have replaceable jaws.  You can get a pair of one-piece machinable jaws for precision 2nd ops, or two different kinds of quick-swap jaws for cheaper machinable jaws.