Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Apparently I don't know how to drill a hole.

ahaslam

I have been trying to figure out how to work the rotary axis positioning function in Mastercam. I got it to work yesterday on a part. today, no joy.  I am sure this is an obvious mistake on my part but would love to get some input on what that thing is. Attached it my picture of my settings. Should be pretty straightforward.

Thanks

post-64546-0-83720500-1471294490_thumb.png

• Like 5

I have been trying to figure out how to work the rotary axis positioning function in Mastercam. I got it to work yesterday on a part. today, no joy.  I am sure this is an obvious mistake on my part but would love to get some input on what that thing is. Attached it my picture of my settings. Should be pretty straightforward.

Thanks

attachicon.gifrong4axiz.png

That is really confusing. Are you going to use the planes to do the rotation or the axis sub? You would use one or the other not both if I understand your screen shots correctly.

from your pic it looks like you are on the right track unless I am looking at something wrong, to me it looks like you are working with a trunnion type machine. With that being said typically the WCS will be whatever plane you have that is oriented from "top" B0/C0 rotation (so from at least the name of the plane that seems to be correct). Then the construction plane and toolplanes would be set to the position that you need which also looks to be correct at least from the image.

So from what I gather you just need to set the rotary axis control page to "No Rotation". Try that and post code and let us know if that does what you were after.

Actually, I just had a duh moment. The holes are not on center with the z. That's why the are coming out at a funny angle. They are shooting for center. I'll play with it. If I get it to work I'll post a few more crappy pictures. I love this feature when I can get it to work. One time I had to create a ton of planes because I didn't even know it what there. Any way. Thanks for the feed back.

Yeah, that was it for sure. As soon as I made my wcs on center line of the holes, it started aiming for the holes correctly. But it wouldn't post right because my WCS is now not in the right spot relative to the rest of my part.

This shows the result of setting up one tool path using only 2d drill function and the axis rotation. How ever it would seem that if the holes do not intersect center line of your wcs, it wont work. It does make sense now that i think about it. The wcs is being used as the projection point but I assumed the T-plane would be doing that. Oh well. 

post-64546-0-58451700-1471298675_thumb.png

Side note: I wonder if I could make a post that assumed the base as always abs regardless of the WCS then when it found a WCS that didn't match the xyz of the base, it would calculate the difference. That would be really handy but I don't know if the MP would let you do that.

Side note: I wonder if I could make a post that assumed the base as always abs regardless of the WCS then when it found a WCS that didn't match the xyz of the base, it would calculate the difference. That would be really handy but I don't know if the MP would let you do that.

There are 3rd party posts that already do this.

Yeah, that was it for sure. As soon as I made my wcs on center line of the holes, it started aiming for the holes correctly. But it wouldn't post right because my WCS is now not in the right spot relative to the rest of my part.

This shows the result of setting up one tool path using only 2d drill function and the axis rotation. How ever it would seem that if the holes do not intersect center line of your wcs, it wont work. It does make sense now that i think about it. The wcs is being used as the projection point but I assumed the T-plane would be doing that. Oh well. 

Seems to me you are making this a lot harder than it needs to be. With Dynamic Planes and Hole Axis you can make a plane in less than 30 seconds and get exactly what you need with no worries about the WCS or anything. Different strokes for different folks, but think you are not using planes to their full potential.

• Like 3

The Generic Fanuc 5X Mill Post is setup to allow for a couple different methods of outputting your code, depending on if you are doing full 5X tool paths, or Tool Plane Based Tool Paths.

1. Normally, the WCS is setup as the Center of Rotation point. This should also be the "Work Offset" location for most Table/Table style machines.
  2. When you create and use a WCS, you have two options for "Origin output". Misc Integer #6 controls which origin (WCS or Tool Plane) the XYZ output is calculated from. The default ('1') is WCS Origin. If you set MI6 to '0', then the Work Offset origin is the Tool Plane Origin. This is especially useful in 3+2 output, because you can use a new Work Offset on a critical feature, and "adjust" the offset location on the machine, either through manual gauging methods (indicator), or by probing.
  3. When the Post "sees" a change in Tool Plane, it will calculate and output a new Rotary Position, which usually outputs one or two rotary positions.
  4. If there is a "shift" on the machine between the center of the Rotary Axes, then you can enter those "shift" values into the Axis Shift variables, and the post will "shift" the positions during output. There are two sets of shift variables; one for Tool Plane and one for Multi-axis.
#The shift variables for Tool Plane Tool Paths:

saxisx  :  0
saxisy  :  0
saxisz  :  0

#The shift variables for 5 Axis (Vector based) paths:

n_saxisx  :  0
n_saxisy  :  0
n_saxisz  :  0

Now, you asked about a "shifting the WCS" versus a "base" WCS. That isn't really possible with the Generic Fanuc 5X Mill Post, but there is a feature that might make up for that!

When using a Vector Based Tool Path, that comes from the WCS Origin, you can use 'mr7$', 'mr8$', and 'mr9$' as an "incremental shift" to any 5 Axis path. These incremental shifts are applied to the current WCS Origin, and also added to the "n_saxisx" shift variables as well.

This "Shift" vector, allows you to apply an incremental shift to any tool path, independently of the "base" WCS. It is very handy to be able to "tweak" the output of a single path, without screwing up any of the other existing cuts in the ops manager...

• Like 1

Seems to me you are making this a lot harder than it needs to be. With Dynamic Planes and Hole Axis you can make a plane in less than 30 seconds and get exactly what you need with no worries about the WCS or anything. Different strokes for different folks, but think you are not using planes to their full potential.

I agree that building planes is quick, simple and extremely powerful. With that said, I am always trying to think out side of the box we usually use, mostly to see if it's possible. 

I agree that building planes is quick, simple and extremely powerful. With that said, I am always trying to think out side of the box we usually use, mostly to see if it's possible. 

I am right there with you and it is missing from a lot of people. Please keep doing that and I promise you will figure out things that most will never understand. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I haven't really played around with transform tool path until the past few days. I didn't realize until now that you can rotate by view and use tool plane as the method . Works great for multiple holes around a part on a fourth axis so long as they have even distribution. 

You "can" use rotary to drill like you layed it out...however, in your case of just 2 holes, planes is likely faster....

To do so I typically unroll the diameter at which the holes will be drilled, and place the at the proper locations in 2D, chain them, then use the roll function in contour to get the rotary engaged....