Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What do you call it and where do you get it

I am looking for something better than ER for the not-so-distant future, and heat shrink may be the answer for larger tools (1/4", 3/8"), but I'm not sure heat shrink is the answer for 1/8" shank tools (which I use a lot of).  I got a quote on a nice slim Nikken "MMC" collet chuck, but they want over $500 each.

I am looking for something better than ER for the not-so-distant future, and heat shrink may be the answer for larger tools (1/4", 3/8"), but I'm not sure heat shrink is the answer for 1/8" shank tools (which I use a lot of).  I got a quote on a nice slim Nikken "MMC" collet chuck, but they want over $500 each.

Tk introduced me to these years ago for working on impellers and they are top notch holders.

http://www.eri-america.com/catalogs/Milling_Chuck_Section.pdf

• Like 3

Tk introduced me to these years ago for working on impellers and they are top notch holders.

http://www.eri-america.com/catalogs/Milling_Chuck_Section.pdf

Showa Micron Chucks are super rigid. Great bits of kit - we have a dozen or so here that we use for roughing.

TK done good, considering he was taken on as the cleaner...

:D

• Like 2

One of my guys did that, once...  Luckily it was a larger tool (1/2") and we were able to insert a steel shaft through the pull stud hole and press it out on the hydraulic press.  It took about 8 tons to get it to move.

If you have a decent induction shrink, put the holder in the freezer, then with a rod up the pull stud hole loading the steel cutter  give it heaps with induction. If it gets hot without coming out, put it back in the freezer and try again. We have good success this way and do it regularly. I have only had one tip cutter that I haven't been able to get out.

A cheap shrink system is false economy but some bosses don't see it that way. Shrinks have been the greatest advancement we made and has more than paid for itself over the last 20 years (still using some of the original shrinks)

Hope this helps

Worth a try