Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

plane manager

KERKEKNIANES

Hi

when working with surface rough pocket , in cut depth  , when using absolute ,the minimum depth is in top .in plane manager i have maked the top of stock as my z zero

so i should have minimum depth zero, maximum depth -20

but the tool path is below the part,. to fix that i have to take minimum depth 20 and max depth zero

mastercam still work with an other plane manager and outputs g code with wrong cordinates

how can i fix that

thank you

this is the piece , may be some one can told me how to machine this .

Many toolpaths in Mastercam would machine this very basic of shapes. What have you tried to make this work? What training have you received? Do you have Mill Level 3?

HST Waterline will do just fine in 2017. In X8 had that toolpath if I remember correctly. Surface Finish Contour will do it also. Have a good day.

Many toolpaths in Mastercam would machine this very basic of shapes. What have you tried to make this work? What training have you received? Do you have Mill Level 3?

HST Waterline will do just fine in 2017. In X8 had that toolpath if I remember correctly. Surface Finish Contour will do it also. Have a good day.

i am beguinning with 3D advanced mill , there are many kinds of tool paths.

so how can I choose the right strategy

i have received a training from vt pros , but it focussed in geometry creation rather than tool paths. do you suggest a trainig ?

when working with surface high speed , step down are huge, in our university we work with 0.5 to 1 mm as stepdown

so i should avoid them .

i am beguinning with 3D advanced mill , there is many kinds of tool paths.

so how can I choose the right strategy

i have received a training from vt pros , but it focussed in geometry creation rather than tool paths. do you suggest a trainig ?

when working with surface high speed , step down are huge, in our university we work with 0.5 to 1 mm as stepdown

so i should avoid them .

Well your university is back in the 80's in their thinking then. Get the right tool and go 200%  depth to Diameter on your Carbide end mill to rough with the 5%-10% width of cut. Then finishing will come down to your surface finish requirements. I would like to a .26mm down to a .05mm step down. My parts are my art and I take pride in making good quality good looking parts. The beauty of the part will sell itself to the customer. Garbage in and Garbage out. 1mm step down with a 50mm tool would work, but I am thinking a 10 to 15mm ball end mill.

You would never use a 75mm length tool on a 20mm tall part. Define the tools for the condition and not the let the tools define the condition. Rigid tools are key to machining good parts.

Opti-Rough is the toolpath for this part. Problem is all the lies you have to give Mastercam. What do I mean by lies one might ask? Well lets start with defining a material in the Stock page. This has no bearing on the HST toolpaths. Someone just learning would be taught to go define the stock and then would think okay. Stock is defined the software will use it. No sorry that is not the case. Lie #1 is to create your own stock model. You can either use a solid or just define the stock model the same way you defined the stock in the stock definition for the toolpath. One might ask why are they not connected? God question for someone who makes the software the answer I am just a end user. Now on the the next lie. We want to use the Opti-Rough toolpaths and we want it to start outside. Again once would think okay I have material defined and have now gone into my operation to sue it to define the stock. Now I can use Opti-Rough and I am off to the races. Here comes lie #2. There is a switch to change from outside to inside problem is the software is so smart it becomes dumb here. You cannot change it when using Opti-Rough again why is that? I have no idea, but I was taught how to make the toolpath work. Don't use logic and define the containment boundary the size of the stock. Define it some crazy size bigger than the part and now the toolpath will start outside the part. The stock defined through stock model will help the toolpaths work within the area you want to not have a bunch of air moves. Now you have just adjust your parameters to rough the part and you are off to the races.

For Finishing we go to the HST waterline and give it the parameters we need and good to go. Here is a link to a file of your part done in 2017. Not much but hopefully gives you some insight.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/32ovs9htar5unne/5th%20Axis%20depouille.mcam?dl=0

• Like 5

Click on "More Reply Options" beside the post button and then you will see an option for attaching a file.

Well your university is back in the 80's in their thinking then. Get the right tool and go 200%  depth to Diameter on your Carbide end mill to rough with the 5%-10% width of cut. Then finishing will come down to your surface finish requirements. I would like to a .26mm down to a .05mm step down. My parts are my art and I take pride in making good quality good looking parts. The beauty of the part will sell itself to the customer. Garbage in and Garbage out. 1mm step down with a 50mm tool would work, but I am thinking a 10 to 15mm ball end mill.

You would never use a 75mm length tool on a 20mm tall part. Define the tools for the condition and not the let the tools define the condition. Rigid tools are key to machining good parts.

Opti-Rough is the toolpath for this part. Problem is all the lies you have to give Mastercam. What do I mean by lies one might ask? Well lets start with defining a material in the Stock page. This has no bearing on the HST toolpaths. Someone just learning would be taught to go define the stock and then would think okay. Stock is defined the software will use it. No sorry that is not the case. Lie #1 is to create your own stock model. You can either use a solid or just define the stock model the same way you defined the stock in the stock definition for the toolpath. One might ask why are they not connected? God question for someone who makes the software the answer I am just a end user. Now on the the next lie. We want to use the Opti-Rough toolpaths and we want it to start outside. Again once would think okay I have material defined and have now gone into my operation to sue it to define the stock. Now I can use Opti-Rough and I am off to the races. Here comes lie #2. There is a switch to change from outside to inside problem is the software is so smart it becomes dumb here. You cannot change it when using Opti-Rough again why is that? I have no idea, but I was taught how to make the toolpath work. Don't use logic and define the containment boundary the size of the stock. Define it some crazy size bigger than the part and now the toolpath will start outside the part. The stock defined through stock model will help the toolpaths work within the area you want to not have a bunch of air moves. Now you have just adjust your parameters to rough the part and you are off to the races.

For Finishing we go to the HST waterline and give it the parameters we need and good to go. Here is a link to a file of your part done in 2017. Not much but hopefully gives you some insight.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/32ovs9htar5unne/5th%20Axis%20depouille.mcam?dl=0

Thank you , your help is so precious

just a question, i want a training for mastercam advanced mill, how can i get it and what do you  suggest?

just a question, i want a training for mastercam advanced mill, how can i get it and what do you  suggest?

I have never received any formal training in Mastercam. I did attend 3 years of trade school back in the 80's and I did do an apprenticeship in the early 90's, though I taught some of the classes I was taking. Machining just comes natural to me. I can't put my finger on this or that as to say what is or what is not a good place or thing to learn from. If I knew that I would be better than I am now. Trying, doing and being willing to fail I guess it about the only advice I can give you. Mistakes happen, problems will come up and there will always be someone who is better or disagrees with what you think it the right way to go about getting the job done. Grow thick skin and be willing to be proven wrong, but also be willing to be proven right. Manufacturing is the life blood of America really any industrialized country and those who keep dismissing what this profession is about are just plain ignorant. Soak it up, look, listen, ask questions, but most of all try. Don't give up and don't doubt what you can accomplish. I always try to be positive about anything. Even when I have broken my 5th endmill and scrapped another part I say okay what did I miss? What did I do wrong? What did I forget or not think about this time? If I did everything I can and it still will not work then I am okay saying it will not work. There must be a different way to get it done if it is possible. If it is not possible then also realize when that is the case. More decimals doesn't make your smarter. More papers on the wall means you have got a good education, but without practical application they are just papers.

Hopefully you come out of the university ready to work, but please be humble enough to do just that and work. I know many people with a degree who think it allows them to give orders. People only respect those who really know what it takes to get the job done. A good boss is willing to get in the trench with the shovel and help dig when the time comes. They understand if they need a 100 people to dig they must coordinate them, lead them and show them, but when things get hard they pick up the shovel and dig. Keep asking questions and hopefully there is always the answer you need to help you get to the next step in your process of becoming someone in the Manufacturing profession.

• Like 2

just a question, i want a training for mastercam advanced mill, how can i get it and what do you suggest?

Start with your reseller. After that there are lots of books, online courses, videos etc. As Ron stated nothing replaces real world experiences, yes you will make mistakes but you will learn from them as well. Show me a good programmer and you will be showing me somebody who has worked hard to learn the software and they have learned from their errors.

Start with your reseller. After that there are lots of books, online courses, videos etc. As Ron stated nothing replaces real world experiences, yes you will make mistakes but you will learn from them as well. Show me a good programmer and you will be showing me somebody who has worked hard to learn the software and they have learned from their errors.

i will be grateful if you suggest some trainings, or online trainings, 

• 1 month later...