Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Optirough Open Pocket in Clevis

metzenwest

Hello everyone.

I've been given the task in my shop to improve the roughing and finishing of an Open pocket with radius and a drafted wall.

Attached is a file with geometry similar to the part as the original file is a flat mess and REALLY big.

My question is, this open pocket is in a clevis that was machined in a previous op. Now I'm working on the back side of the part. I want to use Optirough to rough out the pocket so that I can stitch the drafted wall. After I set my Drive/Check planes, the tool path starts at the end of the clevis and cuts air all the way to the area I want cut. If i use containment it now treats the area as a pocket, not an Open pocket. Is there a way to trick Optirough into cutting an Open pocket without all the extra air cutting?

In the file attached is an open pocket tool path that is what I'm looking for, but when I add the clevis part it changes, As shown in the attached file.

Take a look and let me know what you guys think,

Optirough Test.mcx-9

Hello everyone.

I've been given the task in my shop to improve the roughing and finishing of an Open pocket with radius and a drafted wall.

Attached is a file with geometry similar to the part as the original file is a flat mess and REALLY big.

My question is, this open pocket is in a clevis that was machined in a previous op. Now I'm working on the back side of the part. I want to use Optirough to rough out the pocket so that I can stitch the drafted wall. After I set my Drive/Check planes, the tool path starts at the end of the clevis and cuts air all the way to the area I want cut. If i use containment it now treats the area as a pocket, not an Open pocket. Is there a way to trick Optirough into cutting an Open pocket without all the extra air cutting?

In the file attached is an open pocket tool path that is what I'm looking for, but when I add the clevis part it changes, As shown in the attached file.

Take a look and let me know what you guys think,

To get Opti-Rough to cut like you want from the outside make the boundary larger in that area. Also make a stock model and use it to drive the toolpaths and you should get the results you are after. Little trick with Opti-Rough is making boundaries bigger than you need, but using stock model. Now you get Area rough where you need to and Dynamic where you need it out of one toolpath.

• Like 2

I use stock models a lot lately as the molds Ive been making have a lot of detail.  But I dont see where the option for using stock model as geometry is in the parameters page.  Can anyone point in the right direction?  Thanks

you can also define a stock model

then chose "one other operation" for the stock definition and select the stock model

• Like 2