Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Peck Drill output G0 and G1... not a canned cycle

DCOPE17

On my past versions of MasterCam, using the peck drill cycle, I had the option of putting in a peck value and then a subsequent peck value and by doing so output would be rapid and feed moves, not the canned cycle. 

How do I get this to work on 2017? the Subsequent peck box is greyed out. 

Thanks for your help. 

Alright, I'm getting closer...

Machine Definitions

Control definitions

Text

Mill Drill Cycles

Under the peck drill column, the word "Peck" is typed in the first pack box.

I typed "Peck" in the Subsequent box and I now have the ability in the peck drill cycle to input a peck and a subsequent peck number.

The output is still a canned cycle with the first peck being the Q output.

If I remember right, I have to go into the post to get it to output the rapid and feed moves instead of the canned cycle. 

I'll keep you all posted. 

My previous versions were at a different shop. I can only guess this on has never done a drill cycle the long way. 

I have to go into the post and change number of digits in my tapping cycle. it only outputs 1 decimal place. 

I'll let you know if I have success, or really, when I have success.

its not a high priority now, I just reran the canned cycle at a high feedrate until I got close to where I was when I alarmed out. 

My previous versions were at a different shop. I can only guess this on has never done a drill cycle the long way. 

I have to go into the post and change number of digits in my tapping cycle. it only outputs 1 decimal place. 

I'll let you know if I have success, or really, when I have success.

its not a high priority now, I just reran the canned cycle at a high feedrate until I got close to where I was when I alarmed out. 

Okay big piece of the puzzle you left out.

You need to make this happen in your current shop and they have never done this before where you are. Changing the CMD through the MMD should take care of what you need. Then the post will output the canned cycles as long code. Yes the peck should be able to be used, but need to make sure you are using the correct MMD and CMD that have it for the machine you are programming for. If not then look for a post like MPMASTER and use it to reverse engineer what you need.

Normally the "Long hand" drill cycle is switched between "Canned" and "Longhand" inside the Control Definition.

Control Definition Manager > Machine Cycles > Mill Drill Cycles Menu > Uncheck "Peck drill - full retract".

That will give you longhand code.

If the "Subsequent Peck" field was setup to switch between "Canned" and "Longhand" output, then that is for sure a Custom Post Edit to accomplish that. It isn't hard to do either, but you will have to edit the post...

I'd do it something like this:

Add some code to 'pdrlcommonb', which is normally used to setup the Drill Variables before outputting the Canned Cycle. We need to tell MP to reprocess the NCI Line, so we can call the drill cycle output, but force MP to turn off the Canned output, and output longhand code instead.

pdrlcommonb     #Canned Drill Cycle common call, before

if peck2$,
        [
        usecanpeck$ = no$
        redo_proc$
        ]

Hope that helps,

Colin

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Alright, Finally got to get back at this.

Colin, you worked it out for me. I put that in my post and named the subsequent peck "peck2" and it works just fine. My other one worked where if the first and second peck matched, it output a canned cycle, if they were different, it made it longhand. Your code is simpler and works great and as long as peck2 is set to 0, then I get the canned cycle. 

I really appreciate it. 

Houston, we have a problem. 

With the added in code to the post, I cannot post Drill/Counterbore drill cycles. I guess I can enable "peck2" in that cycle and just set it to 0 and see what happens. 

ADDED: Yep, that did the trick. Enabled "Peck2" , set to 0 and posted just fine. 

Would the above line of code be able to just be added to the "Peck" and "Chip Break" drill cycles so that all the others, "Drill/Counterbore", "Tap" and "Boring" cycles will remain as they are? 

Houston, we have a problem. 

With the added in code to the post, I cannot post Drill/Counterbore drill cycles. I guess I can enable "peck2" in that cycle and just set it to 0 and see what happens. 

ADDED: Yep, that did the trick. Enabled "Peck2" , set to 0 and posted just fine. 

Would the above line of code be able to just be added to the "Peck" and "Chip Break" drill cycles so that all the others, "Drill/Counterbore", "Tap" and "Boring" cycles will remain as they are? 

I would think that some "else" logic would work, but it might mean that you'd have to put the logic in the ppeck$ section, instead. Maybe something like this would work

ppeck$           #Canned Peck Drill Cycle      pdrlcommonb      if peck2$,        [        usecanpeck$ = no$        redo_proc$        ]       else         [pcan1, pbld, n$, *sgdrill, sgabsinc, *sgdrlref, prdrlout,          *peck1$, *feed, strcantext, e$           pcom_movea

]

Did you put the test into 'pdrlcommonb'? If your test is in that section, you are already processing the "NCI Gcode 81", which is the Drill Section.

Try modifying the logic like this:

pdrlcommonb     #Canned Drill Cycle common call, before

if (drillcyc$ = one | drillcyc$ = two) & peck2$ <> zero,
        [
        usecanpeck$ = no$
        redo_proc$
        ]
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...