Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cartech Aermet 100

jlw™

I remember that stuff from my bicycle building days. In order to fit the tubes together, we had to use a grinding wheel whereas with anything else, even Ti3Al/2.5V, you could use a hole saw. Nasty stuff to work with. Other people were able to make frames with it but we felt it wasn't worth the effort.

LeoC

AerMet 100 alloy is somewhat more difficult to machine than 4340 at Rockwell C 38. Carbide tools are recommended at 280 to 350 SFM.

^^makes it sound easy^^

annealing only gets you down to 40Rc. how hard is it without anneal? Judging by the ultimate tensile strength that would be well over 50 Rc.

guessing high feed wherever possible.

• Like 1

We cut a bunch of this stuff about 15 years ago.  We started with the material annealed and roughed it.  It machined a lot easier that way.   We finished after heat treat.  It was so long ago that I doubt that I could even find the part files.  We were using Cimatron IT back then.  If I have time i'll look in the morning.

One of my friends (Kennametal rep) was tooling up someone on the same material, and the were running Mazak.  Just thought it might have been you.

Yeah, him and Lefty were here today.  I needed some help.  Turns out Cartech heat treated it instead of annealing.  We're putting it in the furnace tonight for annealing.  We'll see after that.

• Like 1