Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Completely green..where do I start?

kenbone

Everyone here has great comments.

Part of my education was at RIT (Rochester institute of tech) in Rochester, NY for my machining education which took 3 years. 2 years bridgeport and manual machines then 1.5 years CNC (mostly learning the code and what they do). Of course, they trained us on Safety, then the basic setup on a bridgeport using parallels, edgefinder and making our own 1-2-3 block.... then grinding it on a surface grinder after they were sent for hardening. We also learned how to use the lathe.  I believe that learning both a mill and lathe can make you go far in the CNC world since you have an understanding of both.

There was a Company willing to take me in as a CO-OP for college credit, I can say the experience was interesting.  It was hard, don't get me wrong.  I think my biggest mistake was going back to the same company as a full-time job, but hey it was a learning experience. 

After I got laid off, I found a better place some 6-8 months later. This was the year after 9/11 attacks. I've been working at the 'better' company for 13+ years now (8 years as a machinist, 5 years as a programmer).

As a machinist, you learn how things are coded to make machines run, the setups....good and bad... plus playing around with feeds and speeds to find the optimum point of machining.  Kinda like process improvement by decreasing run times... but this is when you gain a full understanding of limitations.

As a programmer, I learned directly from the mastercam X2 training tutorial handbook in a week from home. I never attended classes.  I did a chapter a night and I do have to say it did give me a jump start on programming, but learning the "tricks" had to come from one of the guys with experience.  After that, and once you're comfortable, expand your knowledge with new toolpaths (which might xxxx off machinists LOL), but hey if it works and impresses management, they will want keep you as long as possible.

Now? I do have a lot of post processing editing experience by doing a lot of trial and error experimentation to improve out old post files as well as obtaining new ones thru cimquest, which was a huge plus.  There are still times when I make mistakes programming wise, but its part of the job.  At least I still go out on the floor and run the machines if theres any available - it keeps your skills sharp.

Sorry for the long post!

-JD

On 3/25/2017 at 2:53 PM, #Rekd™ said:

Colin,

That shop uses Siemens NX or Mastercam?

Thanks

John

Hi John,

Guess I missed your Post. Sorry about that.

EDAC Technologies uses both NX and Mastercam, depending on which division you work for. I was using both software packages, depending on the specific project.

• Like 1
On 5/1/2017 at 11:54 AM, Colin Gilchrist said:

Hi John,

Guess I missed your Post. Sorry about that.

EDAC Technologies uses both NX and Mastercam, depending on which division you work for. I was using both software packages, depending on the specific project.

Colin, are you able to elaborate a bit on the different uses between Mastercam and NX?  I'm wondering if there is a special use for programming with NX? Just curious really.

• 2 months later...

Well the universe was looking out for me today. About a month ago I discovered a good friend was a manager in the R and D department at a medium sized manufacturing plant. A spot opened up within his group. He found out I was pursuing machining and offered me a job as an R and D tech. The pay is really fair considering my manufacturing knowledge. 

At first I'll be doing the "dirty" stuff and whatnot. I will be taught to work with EDM machines and multiple other machines. I know they work a lot with composite materials.

Anyways I'm beyond excited to start in 3 weeks. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, kenbone said:

Well the universe was looking out for me today. About a month ago I discovered a good friend was a manager in the R and D department at a medium sized manufacturing plant. A spot opened up within his group. He found out I was pursuing machining and offered me a job as an R and D tech. The pay is really fair considering my manufacturing knowledge. 

At first I'll be doing the "dirty" stuff and whatnot. I will be taught to work with EDM machines and multiple other machines. I know they work a lot with composite materials.

Anyways I'm beyond excited to start in 3 weeks. 

We are here is you have any questions. Please remember the only dumb question is the one not asked. You can only learn by asking and trying, but don't assume unless you know. The only way you can know is by doing so be a doer that is humble. Best of luck and I pray we read about the great things you make. 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, C^Millman said:

We are here is you have any questions. Please remember the only dumb question is the one not asked. You can only learn by asking and trying, but don't assume unless you know. The only way you can know is by doing so be a doer that is humble. Best of luck and I pray we read about the great things you make. 

just don't ask JP any HAAS related questions!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, htm01 said:

just don't ask JP any HAAS related questions!

Haha noted I cant recall the brand of machines they are running at this new place. I just know they run alot of EDM machines so ill have a good amount of seat time on them soon enough.

2 hours ago, C^Millman said:

Thank you for the well wishes. I can confidently say I am genuinely excited to start. I cant say exactly what all my job duties are as of yet. Its been described as "dirty work" which im totally fine with along with manual and NC machine training. I honestly feel like I hit the lottery with this new position. Between the starting wages, benefits, tuition reimbursement, willing to take me on with no machining experience, willing to train me on all the machines and processes. I think going to school shows them incentive and hopefully sees me as an investment for the future.

I am leaving a clean desk job that had 24/7 on call support and had me tied to my phone because in the IT world you can do remote work from anywhere. I had zero desire to go to work, it was a decent paying job but had no growth at all internally. I've never been one to settle for very long and being salary with no growth potential drove me to despise the IT world and what pushed me to sign up for classes.

• Like 1