Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Change tap from IPM to IPR in a Mill

ujmujm

I'm using CAMplete  and when I select rigid tapping it outputs a G95 I think I figured it out, if I tell it my TPI is 8400 on the define tool geometry page then go to finalize properties page then my feed rate is .0357 (pitch) and my spindle speed is 300 that seems a little goofy but it works.

You WANT to tap (rigid or not) in IPR. I've got an NC Format, MD, CD and Post for CAMplete. It's pretty dialed. MI8 = M00, MI9 = Tool Breakage Check, MI10 = High Speed Mode control. MR10 = WSEC offset (O=None), and drill cycle 19 or 20 outputs a probing primer (Calls the probe, positions theprobe, turns on the probe, then you just hand edit the cycle and arguments, it positions the probe again, then shuts off the probe. The post does nothing, just holds the text. CAMplete works the magic. 

Interested? I'll send it to you gratis. 

It always amazes me how complicated people make tapping. Don't even need cam to figure out tapping feeds and speeds. Take your TPI x by whatever you want your feed rate to be and done. Example 1/4-28.  28 x 10 = 280 Rpm's  and feed of 10 IPM.  It's how I have been doing it since programming long hand. Works beautifully and it's easy.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, BrianP. said:

It always amazes me how complicated people make tapping. Don't even need cam to figure out tapping feeds and speeds. Take your TPI x by whatever you want your feed rate to be and done. Example 1/4-28.  28 x 10 = 280 Rpm's  and feed of 10 IPM.  It's how I have been doing it since programming long hand. Works beautifully and it's easy.

and if you define your taps as such and have your post set to output IPR or IPM, you'll get everything nice and clean....

35 minutes ago, JParis said:

and if you define your taps as such and have your post set to output IPR or IPM, you'll get everything nice and clean....

Yup and that is how I have it set up. But on those occasions I miss a number it is one of the easiest fixes to do at the machine. No need to do a whole bunch of complicated math.

On 4/25/2017 at 5:25 AM, BrianP. said:

yea works great till you get some genius operator who decides he can speed things up by changing the RPM to 500 or whatever. Programming in IPR eliminates that.

2 minutes ago, MIL-TFP-41 said:

yea works great till you get some genius operator who decides he can speed things up by changing the RPM to 500 or whatever. Programming in IPR eliminates that.

That was the point I tried to make, set your taps up right the first time and they output properly with IPR or IPM....

If you long eared galloot changes the speed in IPM not understanding, then he is a moron...