Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Siezed Draw Tube Advice

So I learned something new. You can get your drawtube stuck inside your spindle. This is on a five year old NLX2500SY.   Have any of you ever dealt with this? On Monday I will have everything in place to attempt to Enerpac this thing out. I have tried dryice, which worked for a about a minute but then it re-siezed before I could get the drawtube removed. I have been fairly successful in keeping the "maintenance" men and their hammers away. What is worrying me here on Sunday is when I put 50 tons of force on that tube, is there a chance that it will cause the spindle to swell? I mean there is a interference fit now,  something has to move. Should I dryice it and press it? Should I stop and just machine it out now and not risk it? The old Mori dealer says no problem, just use "plenty of timbers". I dont know exactly what he means , but I am not directing any force through a bearing. Only between the spindle face and the drawtube.

• Like 1

How does one get a draw tube stuck in a spindle

Did it get bent.. or too much pressure on the actuator ??

I think I'd call a professional for this one. It sounds like it would be real easy to destroy a spindle and headstock with 50 tons of pressure

• Like 2

All i can think of is coolant causing some corrosion to get it stuck. I'd be taking a long look at the spindle drawings to make sure not to apply force to bearings.

Seems like a questionable design/materials for such a new machine.

I've never heard of anything like this happening.

R. Van Winkle - Has the machine sat for a period of time after running cast iron?  We had some Haas lathes at one shop that ran a production cast iron job like 2-1/2 weeks out of a month, and we eventually got the point where we pulled the chuck and replaced the seals after each run because of contamination.  Just wondering if you got to a root cause on why it was rusted in?

These machines run 24/5. and this machine has not run Cast Iron in over a month. Draw tube seized while the last remnant of a job was being removed before setup of the next part. The chuck stopped half-way open.

The winning recipe was dry ice and about 90% of the 55 ton ram. The ram bore against the chuck bolts, even at maximum load the spindle turned like normal. After the first 3 to 5 inches the force required went down considerably.