Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MDole101

Im new to mastercam an am making a golf putter head for my grade 12 manufacturing project. i need help on how to set up and where to even start on this program. What do i set for my toolpath? How do i select a side to start cutting first? I have imported my putter head from autodesk inventor, but where do i go from here? Thanks

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

Hello,

Welcome to eMastercam! I can see you're in Canada, can you message me (click on my name, then click "message") with which school you're in? eMasteram is run by In-House Solutions, the Canadian software reseller. I can check which educational/training resources the school you're in should have and let you know how to find them.

MDole101,

Something seems odd here. Your teacher has given you a project to do but has not taught you how to use Mastercam. That would be like taking somebody to Mt Everest and asking them to climb without any mountaineering skills.

Exams start in about 5 days so when is this project due?

I am glad to hear you are trying to learn Mastercam but the timing and the amount of information you are looking for seems odd.

3 hours ago, MDole101 said:

Im new to mastercam

New to mastercam or new to machining and mastercam? If the latter this might be beyond the scope of the forum. Maybe break your request up into sections.

Setup    Lot's of options

Toolpath    Lot's of options

What machine type......the list could go on and on, one of the nice things about Mastercam is there are always several ways to skin the cat, which also makes a quick answer to such an open request difficult.

11 hours ago, MDole101 said:

Look guys, I literally just asked for some help and all I’m getting is questions and stuff like, “exams start soon” and xxxx like that hahaha I set up my machine type and I set the dimensions on my stock. What do I do next?

In all seriousness....you are using the student version of the software....the of people on this site can't even open a file if you were to share it.....if someone else is running dealer key, perhaps....

If you truly have no clue where to go next, you need to go to your instructor, if you have one or purchase a book off this or another site that walks you through setting up tools paths..then you can come back looking for suggestions based on the results you achieve....

Edited by Guest
On 6/17/2017 at 11:22 PM, MDole101 said:

Look guys, I literally just asked for some help and all I’m getting is questions and stuff like, “exams start soon” and xxxx like that hahaha I set up my machine type and I set the dimensions on my stock. What do I do next?

Hello,

Did you receive my PM? I set you up with electronic access to the project-based tutorials your school should have access to on Friday that should give you a good starting point for programming this. In your project are you just doing the Mastercam side or are you expected to post this to a machine the school owns? If you're just doing the Mastercam side of things the eBook should be fine for teaching you how to create the toolpaths for this project. If you're expected to actually machine this you'll need to know what machine the school has, what tools are available for it, etc. 

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:22 PM, MDole101 said:

I'm not sure you are aware of the function of the forum. Everyone here that is going to be of any help to you has a full time job as a programmer. We don't get paid to answer questions on the forum. We do it to try and help people out, because we have all been stuck with a problem ourselves. Your instructor DOES get paid to walk you through this stuff step by step. This would probably explain some of the flippant replies.

The questions I asked were to try and get some sort of idea how much time I would need to answer your pretty open ended question. Your machining experience has a great bearing on how detailed an answer you will need. And what machine you have, if indeed you are going to machine the part is also important to know before starting.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/16/2017 at 8:02 AM, MDole101 said:

Im new to mastercam an am making a golf putter head for my grade 12 manufacturing project. i need help on how to set up and where to even start on this program. What do i set for my toolpath? How do i select a side to start cutting first? I have imported my putter head from autodesk inventor, but where do i go from here? Thanks

Capture.JPG

If you don't mind, just send me the file and I'll do one of the 3D toolpaths for you just giving you the ideas of how MasterCam works.

I understand your feeling because i used to be like you, I was staying in the dark and no one showing me anything.  

Well, today.... a big difference of me.  Therefore, I want to help people who used to be like me.  Just send me a PM, I'll give you my email address.  I'm using X9, 2018 right now at my company.  Do you have 2018?  I know you have X9 but if you want your BEST machining time, 2018 is the BEST for 3D ROUGHING, you'll make money on 2018 easily.

• Like 1