Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Opinions on Mastercam 2018 & Vericut 8

MetalSlinger5

We're running MC2018 on all new work and

have retired VC 7.4.2 and replaced it with V8.0.3

The Mastercam to Vericut interface was not included when I downloaded VC 8.0.3

It became available a couple of weeks later.

I'm guessing you'll have to request  a copy of the interface.

It should be part of the install when the next V8 upgrade is released

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Watcher said:

8.0.3 is a  rock solid build. 

Except for the Collision checking issue where when you have it turned off it uses Zero and everything is causing collisions that are not real. Have to turn it on and use a high number if you want to run through something real quick.

Still drives me crazy you can only have one session running on a system with one license. I could have 4 parts going at a time if they allowed a single computer to open as many session as they needed like about other other software on the planet does.

1 hour ago, C^Millman said:

Except for the Collision checking issue where when you have it turned off it uses Zero and everything is causing collisions that are not real. Have to turn it on and use a high number if you want to run through something real quick.

Still drives me crazy you can only have one session running on a system with one license. I could have 4 parts going at a time if they allowed a single computer to open as many session as they needed like about other other software on the planet does.

I dislike quite a bit as well their approach to license availability in the same host . 

Not going to change in our lifetime I think. 

2 hours ago, C^Millman said:

I've learned that there's no bug free engineering software and for what it is worth I'm OK with the way CGTech handles bug fixes and enhancement requests. A severe issue like that is probably fixed already and you can ask for the daily build of 8.0.4 and they will send it to you. 

Once I started to dive into Edgecam world, then I started to be thankful for my other CAx providers. 

The guys at Vero just don't care. 

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Watcher said:

I've learned that there's no bug free engineering software and for what it is worth I'm OK with the way CGTech handles bug fixes and enhancement requests. A severe issue like that is probably fixed already and you can ask for the daily build of 8.0.4 and they will send it to you. 

Once I started to dive into Edgecam world, then I started to be thankful for my other CAx providers. 

The guys at Vero just don't care. 

We are on the same page as always my friend. We do our best and  for whatever reason I always seem to find those odd and rare ones that most don't see.

I think most of us here accept that there is no bug free engineering software. It's how those software companies handle those bugs that is more important.

And we all typically use the various software in different ways, so some of us find bugs that others don't.

17 minutes ago, Mick said:

I think most of us here accept that there is no bug free engineering software. It's how those software companies handle those bugs that is more important.

And we all typically use the various software in different ways, so some of us find bugs that others don't.

Yes when one company just about every week is sending out fixes is that a good thing or not? I am still on the fence where the right balance of fixes is, but just getting something to do what I need how I need when I need it is proving to be a real test of patience. :(:(

13 minutes ago, C^Millman said:

Yes when one company just about every week is sending out fixes is that a good thing or not? I am still on the fence where the right balance of fixes is, but just getting something to do what I need how I need when I need it is proving to be a real test of patience. :(:(

Well, one company I deal with sends out fixes about once a week, maybe every second week, but those fixes typically include one or more enhancements. I can live with that. But, if you have a bug that is holding you up, and isn't being fixed, well, yes... That is a test of patience. No workaround provided?

1 minute ago, Mick said:

Well, one company I deal with sends out fixes about once a week, maybe every second week, but those fixes typically include one or more enhancements. I can live with that. But, if you have a bug that is holding you up, and isn't being fixed, well, yes... That is a test of patience. No workaround provided?

Added about 40 hours of work to the project, but yes I always figure out a work around you should know me better than that my friend. :ph34r::sofa:

• Like 1
1 minute ago, C^Millman said:

Added about 40 hours of work to the project, but yes I always figure out a work around you should know me better than that my friend. :ph34r::sofa:

Haha, yes, that I do know you. At least you have a workaround. Some users of whatever software don't have the luxury of having a workaround.

One company I have dealt with, actually sends out bugfixes and enhancements to post processors. No secret squirrel, member of the club access to get those. That, I like...  :sofa::)

• Like 1

I believe it's a basic rule of software development that bugs should be fixed before new features are added (or interfaces are radically redesigned).  If you build new features on top of bugs you'll find it more and more difficult to fix said bugs without breaking everything else that was built on top of them.  Eventually you'll just have a tangled mess full of landmines.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

I believe it's a basic rule of software development that bugs should be fixed before new features are added (or interfaces are radically redesigned).  If you build new features on top of bugs you'll find it more and more difficult to fix said bugs without breaking everything else that was built on top of them.  Eventually you'll just have a tangled mess full of landmines.

Good luck trying to explain that to the marketing gurus. I'm sure developers don't like to see their mistakes and blindspots reproducing like Gremlins, however they're asked to turn their heads away by people who report to marketing & sales gods.

I'm currently dealing with a company that heavily falls in this category. 

It's important to say that the major reason why these companies act like this is because we as customers allow them to and don't held them accountable.

These days I take my hats off to CNC for the major changes they implemented in their development cycle. The product is not perfect (And there's no such thing) but I feel they care about it currently more than they did years ago.