Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Staining on Aluminum 6061-T651

On 8/11/2017 at 3:54 PM, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

Try putting a crystal pyramid on top of the machine to purify it's chi.

And if that doesn't work I'm going with a Makino Voodoo doll and pin it until it does what I want. 

We are currently draining and cleaning out the coolant reservoir. I'll let you guys know if that fixes it. 

If it doesn't, try leaving a sheet of cardboard on the table over the weekend to see if you have anything dripping in the machine. I know you said it's a new machine, but just because a machine is new does not mean it has no incontinence issues. Our brand new NVX5080? Ways leak like a sieve. Our fanuc robot for material handling? Pissing oil within the first 6 months. You never know.

Hopefully it's just contaminants in the coolant, because otherwise you might be looking for a new oil that will not stain or leave any residues, and still meets machine spec so you're not voiding your warranty. We made a ton of parts for Intel there, so I too spent a good bit of time chasing my tail on contamination issues. I feel your pain.

• 3 weeks later...

If the machine is a box way design I bet it's way oil mixing in with the coolant  . We run 6061-t6 on our lathes and if a part gets any way oil on it mixed with coolant we get similar staining . Seeing that you have swapped out the coolant and cleaned the system and the problem disappeared I suspect it's tainted coolant with traces of way oil . We have a coolant supplier come in every few months and take samples , they send a report on what they find in the coolant .

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Cannon said:

I had the same problem of staining and we machine cast iron and many other materials with this machine. When I start aluminium job I will top out the coolant tank with high concentrate coolant and it has solved my problem for now.

Yea, cast iron will make a coolant tank nasty. 

We had a long run of invar on our MX 520 which uses way grease and the coolant became vile. Had to do a full cleanout