Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Another post processor question...

MetalFlake

I'm a new guy on the block....so far this place looks very cool. Think I'll stay for a while.

I've been dropped into the position of having to learn how Mill posts work so I can tweak them to code for a whole bunch of different machines. Fun huh? Here's my question: The MP reference guide says that I need 3 files (.pst, .txt, & .dll) to post code but I've found that I can get code with just the .pst file. Am I missing out on much by not having the other files?

Also...the MP guide is bloody huge! I was expecting a "if you need this, then do this" type of tutorial. Instead I get a library of 50+ .pdf's. Can someone please point me to the areas that I might want to start at before I get my self lost for weeks....I'd really appreciate it. The machines I need to post for are 1)Makino 630 Horizontal-Fanuc 18 (I think) 2)Cincinatti Horizontal-Acramatic. 3)Cincinatti 5ax vertical-Accramatic. 4)Matsura vertical 3ax & 4ax.

Many thanks for any input!!

MF

mp.dll is used by mastercam to process the file; it's installed with the software and you can't alter it.

.pst is the actual post processor.

.txt is used mostly to customized some menu's in the software to jibe with the machine needs/capabilities. If a .txt file doesn't exist of the same name as your .pst file, Mastercam substites mpfan.txt (the generic post file).

Mostly you want to look at the Post Blocks area and the Variables area of the post manual.

Writing posts can become a full time hobby. That's great if you are interested in that. If not, hire your dealer to write/modify the posts for you.

If you are new to post editing, it would be a

good idea to pay a professional for the 5X Cinnci post.

The kind people who run this thread have a remarkable piece of code writting known as mpmaster.pst.

It is available for download from this forum and would be a very good starting point for the

3 and 4X machines .

+1000 on Mpmaster is kicks but I have included part of it in my 5 axis post. I have a post that clsoe to what I needed and have spent the last month twaekign and playign and still no where near to have a perfect psor for the Thermwood. I have got help from people to get it to the point it is now but still have a ways to go. Try try and try again and when that doesn't work try it again and again. The best piece of adivce I cn give you is to back up back up back up your post before playing. I also done little things at tiem not a whole slue of stuff becuse if you do mess up going to be real hard to get back to where you where if you are not sure what did what. Do a search about debugging your psot alot of godo threads about this I have wrtoe a couple and I think Rekd and a few others have also.

Good I love 16 hour days espically on Sunday. curse.gifcurse.gifcurse.gifcurse.gifcurse.gifcurse.gifcurse.gifcurse.gif

Hey is there some law against I am not suppose to be here by myself?????????? Like I will get one of the owners here. My fmaily did coem have lunch with me today and stayed for about 3 hours so that was cool.

No one will give their post away for free, but they will do their best to help you fix yours. There are a lot of posts included on the MC CD, and the Mpmaster post I think has every feature known.

Check here for a start

Ten steps to modifying you post.

1. Find a post that is close.

2. Decide what changes you need to make to your code.

3. Back up your post

4. Use FASTMODE to see where the changes need to be made.

5. Make changes to post

6. Repost to see if code changed to what you want

7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 a couple of hundred times

8. Ask for help on MC forum*

9. Make correct changes that were given by the post wizards on the forum.**

10. Edit free code. For a brief time until you find something else you want to tweak.

*Searching the forum first helps, tons of info has been covered on post mods

**Sometimes you may skip steps 8 and 9.

John

Thanks Matt it has been hard work getting to this point but I am happy with what I have got so far. This is the part they said we would have done in 4 days here I am on day 12. It is 5 pieces of 3" thick solid ABS glued together. I will put up soem MPEG of this thing tommorrow for everyone to take a look at.

To all a good night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ 02-09-2004, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: Millman^Crazy ]