Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Robodrill or knock-off

chris m

Good evening folks, looking for some opinions on small CNC machines. We're looking for a new Robodrill-sized machine for drilling and tapping holes in a much neglected product line of ours. The options I've seen so far are:

Fanuc Robodrill

Haas Super MiniMill

Haas VF-1

Chevalier Falcon 1814 [1418, something like that]

Any impressions that you have based on personal experience with any of these machines would be greatly appreciated. I have worked around Robodrills before and they seem like a pretty nice machine but the $$ is pretty strong for what we're going to do with the machine.

Thanks in advance and hello to all of the machine-tool salesmen lurking out there in silence [or tech guys, Bob]; if you know me and haven't quoted this for me yet, maybe its time to give me a ring 'just to check in'....

C

VF1 with highspeed machining might be your best bet. You get a good base machine with the capabilites of a fast machine for accuraccy. I would only make sure you get Baldor motor for the spindle. We are on our thrid motor for the VF2 SS and they were not baldor. Looks like I will have my fourth motor soon though the VF4 SS is signing the service guy tells me I am crazy but since we all know I am he will just have to learn I am the Crazy Millman biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

try-on

The big boss here for some reason has a chubby for Brother machines; do you have some contact info for them? I really don't want a CNC from a sewing machine company [or whatever it is that they make] but you gotta make the boss happy...

I am NOT interested in any oddball control, either, Fanuc [or a Fanuc clone like a Haas] or Yasnac would be pretty much the only ones we'd look at.

Ron, now that I've seen the work you guys are doing I don't think I woulda bought those machines; there's a reason Matsuura gets $150K for the same size machine Haas sells for $80K...

C

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

there's a reason Matsuura gets $150K for the same size machine Haas sells for $80K...

And all you gotta do is "lift the skirt" on 'her to know why the Matsuura, Mori Seiki, Makino, OKK, SNK, Kitamura, etc... get the kind of coin they ask for.

James teh if it were my money I'd buy a Mori

If your main application is drilling and tapping I would make sure it will do rigid peck tapping. Ijust modified a post for a Milltronics to do rigid peck tapping, I know the robodrills will and I'm pretty sure the Haas would. I have also heard some good things about the Brother machines, I don't know the exact applications but very fast and accurate for drilling holes. I would also check out which ones would be able to do thread milling effectively. How many tools will the toolchanger hold? Do you need some type of deep hole drilling cycle with a reducing factor or will a simple peck cycle work. Sorry I don't have any great ideas for you other than things to look for but it would depend greatly on the application.

HTH and good luck-shopping for machines can be a headache but I also remember the first time somebody showed me rigid peck tapping... eek.gif

I almost forgot low pressure through the spindle coolant isn't always an option on some of these machines if that is an issue.