Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Module works paths

So not a Guru

Man, CNC Software has a mean streak. They add Module Works awesome toolpaths, but don't teach anyone how to use them. I've been messing with a single path for 6 hours today & I'm no closer to getting it to work than I was this morning. I know it can be done, because I've done something very similar in the past. I also know that I'll get it to work sooner or later. But I know I'd gladly pay for training on these paths if it was available from a competent source, and I'll bet I'm not alone.

What sort of path are you cutting ?

I had a similar problem a couple of years back with an advanced 5 axis path (Module Works). It was a simultaneous path deep in a cavity with dynamic tilting collision avoidance. I had programmed the left hand side with no worries and had a nice path but when I tried to do the right hand side it just kept bugging out on me, spent hours trying to work it out. 

In the end I changed the step over by a few microns and it worked perfect, pretty much a mirror of the left hand one , go figure !

Oh and if I went too many microns either way from the original path it wouldn't work either, so there was a sweet spot of step over. So hopefully this might help you but I also think that there is no way you could train for this !!

My two cents.

24 minutes ago, So not a Guru said:

How can I get on the list?

I'm not sure if [email protected] maintains a list, but you can contact them.   There is a schedule maintained @ mastercam.com under Support > Training > Corporate Training Courses, but we're done for this year.  I believe the plan is to have 2018's schedule up next month. 

Hi Zeke,

I also happen to teach classes on using the MW toolpaths. So, there are certainly some options available. Have you downloaded a copy of the MW Help file yet? (Stickied at the top of the forum.) That help file is what I used to craft the material in my class. That help file also goes pretty in-depth on each option available in the MW Toolpaths. Just be sure you "unblock" the file (right click, properties), so you can see the animations.

The #1 mistake I see people making is not understanding the difference between "Cut Pattern" and Collision Control. More often than not, you should be creating a very 'simple' surface, underneath your geometry, and using that surface to drive the Cut Pattern. It is the Collision Control that allows you to "compensate" to the set of surfaces you want to "leave behind, after removing the metal around the surfs".

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Have you downloaded a copy of the MW Help file yet?

Yes, I reference it often.

2 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Collision Control that allows you to "compensate" to the set of surfaces you want to "leave behind

In the path I'm working with the 1st collision control strategy has only drive surfaces selected & the stock to leave option is not available. I'm using trim & relink, with trim collision only for that strategy. I have my chack surfaces in the 2nd strategy & I'm using tilt tool, with automatic for that strategy.

I've tried a multitude of chains to drive the tool axis with, but the same 4 rib edges keep getting nicked with every thing I've tried. I haven't created any surfaces from the existing solid yet, that's next on my list.

If you check "Report remaining collisions for all strategies", it will draw in graphical area toolpath points where collisions haven't been resolved.

In your file it will draw points where you are experiencing issues (fillets corners and some others with top check surfaces you didn't pay attention).

That means this is not a Mastercam bug (great news!), however collisions avoidance strategies failed for various reasons... that (often) happens and you should be aware of that.

Here, i don't 'exactly' know what's wrong but if you tighten your toolpath tolerance (i tried 2e-05 and issues were almost gone) it will help to calculate more precisely your toolpath.

3 hours ago, So not a Guru said:

Thank you, I never gave that box a thought before. From now on, I'll be using it every time I use a path it's available in.

Just make sure you have a empty level active otherwise it will dump a bunch of poins and lines onto the active level FUBARing any kinda order you had lol.

I usually have a MWCOLLISION level of some sort dedicated for the dump of geo for the remaining collisions.

This setting is soooo usefull letting you know what is actually wrong without having to verify/compare etc.

Hope this helps!

12 minutes ago, Zoffen said:

Just make sure you have a empty level active

Yes, I noticed that right off! Luckily, the points generated were the only points on that layer & I was able to use QM points to delete them.

14 minutes ago, Zoffen said:

I usually have a MWCOLLISION level of some sort dedicated for the dump of geo for the remaining collisions.

Excellent idea