Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Projection issues

EX-wccprogrammer

Hey guys, I have a problem that I can't solve, maybe somebody can help me out. I am using Mastercam 9.1 and I do a lot of single point engraving on wheels. To do this, I construct the toolpath using lines, then project the lines onto the wheel profile. The resulting projection is then chained as a 3-D toolpath. The problem that I have is that the resulting projection contains a lot of arcs in numbered planes, which will not chain as a toolpath properly. Is there a way to prevent arcs from being the result of a projection?

Wccprogrammer, they are not suggesting a work around this is a better way to do the same thing.

Project the 2d program instead of projecting the geo then progamming as a 3d contour.

Now can you share a sample file that has your problem to look at the trouble?

You can try ajusting the chaing tollorence.

You can try Ignor depths.

Sample PLEASE firebounce.gif

also, to get rid of arcs in your nci's make sure your filter is off...thats about the best you can do though, unless you have a switch in your post that will convert all arcs to linear moves. Unfortunately you can filter arcs into toolpaths with MC, but you cant filter them out, something that has been brought up in the past. So if you're not filtering these arcs in, then you'll have to try another toolpathing method/style...

Just personal preference, but I prefer to do a little more work preparing and have a clean toolpath section. By clean, I mean that all of the toolpaths are to be included when posting. By projecting a 2D toolpath, I have to create a special "Do Not Post" group for the 2D code. This can get complicated if you are doing extensive programming with many different toolpaths. As for a sample, I don't know how to attach a file here...

use the cadcam's ftp link at the top of the page, that will give you access to jay's ftp where you can upload a sample.

if you are worried about having to not post certain toolpaths you can ghost them. i'd like to take a look at a sample, i'm not sure by what you mean when you say the arcs wont chain properly...I like to use arcs as opposed to splines as a general rule...

quote:

The result contains arcs in multiple planes,

I guess Im lost at your problem. think of a sphere. how many C planes can you think of to make on that? toolpath projection takes care of that. let the puter do the work for you. its as easy as putting a sticker on a ball. it just wraps it on from 1 plane. If you cant path it all from 1 plane, then you need 4 axis

Well I do 5 xa programming and can have upwards f o200 c-planes and my post do just fine. I am thinking that you may have a psot issue here and not the other issue you eplained to being with. Email Jay the file and let us sink our teeth into it. Me well I will have to wait a few days off and didnt bring ym hasp home left it at work but I am sure Jay or soemone else can be os assistance to you.

Thnaks Jimmy may have made them mad but I was suppose to have Thursday and Friday off then I worked 17 hours Wedsenday still didnt get it done. I then was going to take Friday and Monday off then I worked 28 hours Thursday thru to Friday and yes that is 45 hous in 2 days of work covering 3 days. Then I go in and see why they have my andozing of the parts and I get well they didnt call back in the last three hours so I dont know. That flew over me not good at all. I am busting my a$$ and get the not worried attutide. I then tell the owner I am going home to get some sleep and he is like will we will see you tuesday mornign right I quickly responded nope problay will not be till Thursday. I also have found that employees in Calforina get double time after 12 so for me that is that works out to about $10 an hour and that is going to have to come to a quick halt. I just wish life were as easy as it should be and hard work was given what it should be I know I complain about it and I feel rightfully so. I know my hard work and dedacation to what I do will pay off just been here done this so many times it gets old to keep seeing it is all.

Thanks for the feedback, all of you. There were some suggestions to use features that I was unaware of, which was exactly why I posted. I have e-mailed a sample file to cadcam so it can be put on FTP. Just to clarify what the objective is, this is an engraving program for a 3-axis mill. No multi-axis is required. My goal for posting this issue is to illustrate the need for further refinement of MC software. In my opinion, (for what it's worth), the result of a projection should be dependent on the cplane in which the projection is done. For example, if you project something in the top plane, the result should be limited to lines, splines, and arcs in the TOP plane only. If you want a result to contain a variety of planes, the projection should be done in the 3D plane. Any thoughts on this?

quote:

What does your post do with an arc in Cplane 33... Mine kind of freaks

Mine posts them as lines because it realizes that it can only do arcs in g17,g18 and g19. Maybe this is a post issue? As soon as jay puts up your file, I'll give it a look-see

Like I said before, I find that using arcs instead of splines in chaining toolpaths gives better results (espescially when using left or right comp with an offset, if you use splines in this situation your toolpaths will fail to generate more often then not)). So if your post is posting these arcs that lie in wierd planes, and your machine cant handle it, I think it's definately a switch in your post. What post are you using? Is it one from the MC9x CD or a custom post?