Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multiaxis Roughing Problem

Tinger

I'm doing something wrong in the parameters for the multiaxis roughing operation. The roughing operation is only doing the bottom side of the pocket. Also it has a bunch of goofy rapid moves that I don't know how to fix. .....and its hitting my check surfaces... I have attached the zip to go file for anyone to take a look. I'm using a generic haas 5axis post with the b axis turned off. This part will be on rotary along the x axis.

I keep playing with the parameters but to no avail. We just bought the multiaxis addon to mastercam yesterday so I have zero experience with it. Any feedback would be appreciated. Also if this is completely the wrong toolpath to use let me know. 

Thanks.

FULL SIZE RENDER CONCEPT.ZIP

6 minutes ago, Tinger said:

I'm using a generic haas 5axis post with the b axis turned off. This part will be on rotary along the x axis.

If you are using Multiaxis with a 4 axis machine (perfectly legit, have done it many, many times) you might be better off using the MPMaster post available here on the site. It gives full functionality with Multiaxis on 4 axis machines with none of the headaches of setting up the 5 axis post for your machine.

10 minutes ago, nickbe10 said:

If you are using Multiaxis with a 4 axis machine (perfectly legit, have done it many, many times) you might be better off using the MPMaster post available here on the site. It gives full functionality with Multiaxis on 4 axis machines with none of the headaches of setting up the 5 axis post for your machine.

I tried it out and the tool path generation seems to be identical.

17 minutes ago, Tinger said:

I tried it out and the tool path generation seems to be identical.

A little difficult to see the problem, and unfortunately our network security system here prevents me from opening files from the site.

Are you sure you have your machine and control defs correct and your post linked to them correctly? Check the files tab at the top of the Ops Manager.

You will need a VMC 4 axis machine and control definition. There are also some switches at the top of the post you might need to change

What are you machining on that part? Are you sure it is a true multiaxis cut? That is it requires at LEAST 2 linear axis and  a rotational axis movement simultaneously. If Z is constant you might be better off with axis sub, but I only use that when I have to.

Having said that this not typical of things I have done using mutiaxis on a 4 axis mill which have all been on prismatic parts. For instance a swarfed multiaxis wall on one side of a part which rivets to a complex surface on an aircraft without needing shims. Parts like this (working with tubes) have often forced me to axis sub, but again without seeing the file directly I don't want to send you down the wrong path.

Post a .Zip to go and someone will be able to look at the file for you. Depending on what you are trying to do it might just be how you are set up with the above. 

49 minutes ago, nickbe10 said:

A little difficult to see the problem, and unfortunately our network security system here prevents me from opening files from the site.

Are you sure you have your machine and control defs correct and your post linked to them correctly? Check the files tab at the top of the Ops Manager.

You will need a VMC 4 axis machine and control definition. There are also some switches at the top of the post you might need to change

What are you machining on that part? Are you sure it is a true multiaxis cut? That is it requires at LEAST 2 linear axis and  a rotational axis movement simultaneously. If Z is constant you might be better off with axis sub, but I only use that when I have to.

Having said that this not typical of things I have done using mutiaxis on a 4 axis mill which have all been on prismatic parts. For instance a swarfed multiaxis wall on one side of a part which rivets to a complex surface on an aircraft without needing shims. Parts like this (working with tubes) have often forced me to axis sub, but again without seeing the file directly I don't want to send you down the wrong path.

Post a .Zip to go and someone will be able to look at the file for you. Depending on what you are trying to do it might just be how you are set up with the above. 

37 minutes ago, C^Millman said:

Why are you leaving .004 on the walls? I would approach this part completely different. Swarf for those undercuts.

I tired new swarf and it is not giving me what I want to see. I tired the old school swarf and it does exactly what I would want for a toolpath for this machine.

Hey Nickbe10,

-Regarding the machine and control defs, I am not sure they are correct. But when I check the machine configuration in the machine definition, all the axis seem to be layed out correctly... but again... i'm not certain...

-I am machining the green surfaces in the new picture I'm posting.

-For every other feature on this part I have used axis substitution and it has worked great. Even the features where z is not constant.

-The green surfaces are the only features that I am trying to use a multiaxis toolpath because I could not get any 2D contours with axis substitution to reach out into  the open areas. When I added multiple passes it ends up interfering with the other walls so I ruled that out.

Hey C^Millman,

- I am leaving .004 stock on walls because I have a 2D contour with axis substitution finishing the walls of the green pocket. The only thing I can't seem to figure out is the leftover material in the larger open areas on the green surface.

Thank you to both of you for your time to look into this! I appreciate the help and ideas.

Untitled.thumb.png.f8e594a414cf8e334a92adb8764c778d.png

49 minutes ago, Tinger said:

Regarding the machine and control defs, I am not sure they are correct.

Check under the Files Tab at the top of the Ops Manager. It should show your active MD/CD and the post they are linked to.

Ron's pretty good tho' (even though he spends most of his time with little simple parts....Hi Ron:lol:) and as he has looked at the actual file I would defer to his experience and skill here. Did you try Legacy Swarf as he advised? 

1 hour ago, Tinger said:

Hey C^Millman,

- I am leaving .004 stock on walls because I have a 2D contour with axis substitution finishing the walls of the green pocket. The only thing I can't seem to figure out is the leftover material in the larger open areas on the green surface.

Then do them with 2D pocket and follow the same process, but since that is on a tapered surface not your best option. The old school swarf will be best and when told to be in a 4 Axis output it will follow the exact shape where as the Axis sub will not follow the taper it will only want to make it to a normal cylinder. New School Swarf doesn't give you the ability to lock to only 4 Axis and that is the huge advantage of the old school swarf here is the ability lock to only 4th Axis. You could do this with Parallel to curve and lock it to 4 Axis and should be able to get the same results. It should allow you to do what you are after and get the left over stock. That is also the problem with Multiaxis rough you cannot lock it to 4th Axis operation only and that shape tells it to 5 Axis it. Here is a quick video using old school swarf on one section. I did use chains to drive this and sync by entity.  I adjusted the jaws from the Right Side VMC 4 Axis I built for 2017. I can adjust the tailstock and tail stock quill in the machine I built and shared on the forum. 

Video of Old School Swarf

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, C^Millman said:

Then do them with 2D pocket and follow the same process, but since that is on a tapered surface not your best option. The old school swarf will be best and when told to be in a 4 Axis output it will follow the exact shape where as the Axis sub will not follow the taper it will only want to make it to a normal cylinder. New School Swarf doesn't give you the ability to lock to only 4 Axis and that is the huge advantage of the old school swarf here is the ability lock to only 4th Axis. You could do this with Parallel to curve and lock it to 4 Axis and should be able to get the same results. It should allow you to do what you are after and get the left over stock. That is also the problem with Multiaxis rough you cannot lock it to 4th Axis operation only and that shape tells it to 5 Axis it. Here is a quick video using old school swarf on one section. I did use chains to drive this and sync by entity.  I adjusted the jaws from the Right Side VMC 4 Axis I built for 2017. I can adjust the tailstock and tail stock quill in the machine I built and shared on the forum. 

Video of Old School Swarf

Which one is the old school swarf? I see two options: "Swarf Milling", and "Swarf". I'm assuming just "Swarf"?

Edit: Also I tried pocket and area mill with y axis substitution but could not get it to generate a toolpath. I contacted my mcam reseller and they said that pocket and area mill does not work with y axis substitution. Thats weird because I found a video on youtube where it looks like someone is using pocket with axis substitution so I really am lost when it comes to getting the y axis substitution to work. Have you had any success using pocket/area mill and y axis substitution?

13 minutes ago, Tinger said:

Which one is the old school swarf? I see two options: "Swarf Milling", and "Swarf". I'm assuming just "Swarf"?

Edit: Also I tried pocket and area mill with y axis substitution but could not get it to generate a toolpath. I contacted my mcam reseller and they said that pocket and area mill does not work with y axis substitution. Thats weird because I found a video on youtube where it looks like someone is using pocket with axis substitution so I really am lost when it comes to getting the y axis substitution to work. Have you had any success using pocket/area mill and y axis substitution?

Are you unrolling the geometry and trying it that way?

In2017 and above you have to right click in the operations manager go to Multiaxis and then application and it is in there.

14 minutes ago, C^Millman said:

Are you unrolling the geometry and trying it that way?

In2017 and above you have to right click in the operations manager go to Multiaxis and then application and it is in there.

Hey Ron,

I did unroll it and when I select my chains the toolpath correctly sees the area I want to mill. But whenever I try to generate the tool path, it loads a little bit like its processing, and then nothing... 

Untitled.png

39 minutes ago, Tinger said:

Does swarf handle multiple broken up surfaces well? Or should each group of surfaces be it's own swarf toolpath?

I know it is more work, but I like to have operations for each set of connecting surfaces. If they are broken up then yes best to have separate operation for each.

• 2 years later...
9 hours ago, Satyajeet Sahoo said:

Hello everyone, I have a problem with multiaxis roughing. Actually part is concave from inside and it consists of some ribs at the bottom. I have tried a lot to fix this. But my toolpath is hitting my job. Can any one give me some solution for this.

You will need to attach your Mastercam file.