Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Post Processor

efred5

Can anyone help me figure out how to capture the threads per inch value from the tool parameters page, so that I can use that number to base my tap rpm on. The operators want the feed rate to be a set value of 10. (inch p/minute). ex:1/4"-20 tap would post out: G98 G84 Z-** R.** S200 F10.

I have the feed rate established, but I need to get the tpi to finish the formula.

thanx, efred

quote:

I worked at a place they ran taps like that 1/4-20 and under 3 imps

eek.gif

I manually tapped 500 1/4-28 holes 1.5" deep on a little mini drillpress with a micro reverse switch on it, at around 500 RPM........took about 1.5 seconds a hole in 440 SS flooded in oil smile.gif didnt break one tap.....infact...used the same one.....

Murlin

quote:

I manually tapped 500 1/4-28 holes 1.5" deep on a little mini drillpress with a micro reverse switch on it, at around 500 RPM........took about 1.5 seconds a hole in 440 SS flooded in oil didnt break one tap.....infact...used the same one.....

you my friend are a brave man ..

10 IPM is the common choice simply because it's much easier to assign that feedrate and calculate RPM, than it is to calculate RPM based on cutting speed then calculate feed rate. Pure math lazyness.

So what do you call it when MC does all the work and they still don't want to go with the right numbers? cuckoo.gif

quote:

then tap in ipr instead of ipm

Not an option in some older machines, Peter. Or maybe it was an option and we just didn't but it. rolleyes.gif

This tap feedrate thing is almost as good as the guy who told me that he has to program the finish face of all his parts as Z-.130 because the operators can't figure out how to account for their .100 block and the .030 that's coming off the face when they touch off...

Chris teh remind me to ask for a typical program hardcopy at my next job interview...

C