Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Silhouette Boundary Question

Taco1531

I am working with a solid and useing the Silhouette Boundary and Curve one edge to get my lines to make my tool paths. 

Is there a way after I have all my lines to select them all and get them all at Z 0 instead of doing them individually? 

Thank you.

in 2018 you make 2D and they will all project to your Z value. In other version you grab the silhouette after it is made and project them all the the Z place you want relative to the view you want them project to. Sometimes I will make G-views and save them as a Plane and them make a Silhouette boundary for a certain area I want to get when doing 5 Axis work, but want to machine in a 3+2 locked place.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Taco1531 said:

I am working with a solid and useing the Silhouette Boundary and Curve one edge to get my lines to make my tool paths. 

Is there a way after I have all my lines to select them all and get them all at Z 0 instead of doing them individually? 

Thank you.

For your edge curves, you can window and project them to a plane, but if you have overlapping curves you'll have some work to do. 

If you're using 2018 follow Rons advise. 

4 hours ago, Taco1531 said:

Thank you.

With Silhouette boundary you can just specify a z depth, or you can do like ron said and do a curve on all edges or curve on one edge. the video below shows how to do this.

But what im wondering is why you need to build edge curves in the first place, Do you use Solid Chaining or know what thats about? I personally don't find much need to build any wireframe for most of my parts but i chain my parts mostly  solid chaining similar to how they show in the video below or using other solid chaining methods.

I use silhouette boundary in X9, and in 2D mode it automatically projects to the Z plane.  Never tried it not in 2D mode.

I build wireframe instead of using solid chaining because it gives me more control, and it won't go dirty or forget selections if the solid gets changed.  Same reason in many cases it makes more sense to create surfaces from a solid rather than drive a toolpath directly off the solid (though I do the latter often because I'm lazy and in a hurry).

• Like 2

Another thought going with JoshC, in 2018 using the solid chain linking most of the HST Surface paths will let you use the edges as a containment boundary that is not planner to the plane. Were a long time we could only use 2d flat planer geo to the plane you are in for containment. 

• Like 1