Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Pre-filled level names...?

Ewood42

I looked into doing this at one point to try to get everyone using the same level naming convention to make working on other people's files easier, but I could never get it to work (this was back with x4). Is there an easy way to get MCAM to pre-name a set of levels? (ex 1-50 is various first op stuff, solid/rough wire/finish wire, user generated surfaces, stock, fixture, hardware, etc.)

The shop I'm moving to, they want emphasis on standardization of all files going forward, and will probably want me at some point to go back and clean up/update old files.

I didn't find anything with a search, but I could have sworn I saw a topic on this at one point.

This is one of 2 different ways to accomplish the same thing. You can certainly import/export Level Names, and you should have that "Template CSV" file available for when you open an existing Mastercam file. When this happens (and the levels are a mess), I typically just add "1000" to each level number. This offsets all the levels to higher numbers, and frees you to "import" the standardized level names.

Now you can:

• Renumber existing levels (can conflict with existing "named" levels, so remember to cut/paste the level name first!)
  • Copy/Paste geometry from one of your higher levels, to the standardized ones
  • Move geometry to an existing (named) level

For starting a new project, I highly recommend you take the time to setup a "Template" Mastercam file for each machine. This would have the correct machine loaded in the Operations Manager, all the Levels named according to your standard list, and "common Planes" created. For a VMC machine, I create "G54 - WCS - TOP", as my starting plane, then I create a "relative Top" Plane, and name it "A0.0 - TOP". Then I use "Rotate Planes", to make rotated copies, at 45 degree angles.

When I'm done, I have the following planes:

• G54 - WCS - TOP
  • A0.0 - TOP
  • A45.
  • A90. - FRONT
  • A135.
  • A180. - BOTTOM
  • A225.
  • A270 - BACK
  • A315.

I do the same thing with my Horizontal templates, but I'm starting with the Front Plane for my Tool plane rotations.

• G54 - WCS - TOP
  • B0.0 - FRONT
  • B45.
  • B90. - RIGHT
  • B135.
  • B180. - BACK
  • B225.
  • B270 - LEFT
  • B315.

By creating a Template File, you can take care of much more than just your Level Names...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gcode said:

The other way is to build a blank template file and use it to start every new project

Launch the file.. then import your geometry

That's what I've been doing here, but was hoping there was a better way, possibly a script that loads/imports a specific template when you select a machine definition.

I have a template file with pre-named levels, a wire model of the pallet, tombstone, chuck, jaws, travel limits, and every stop I could possibly use along with a machine origin point for setting work offsets with a manual entry toolpath. 99% of the time, my programs come out clean and the operator doesn't have to do anything except check tool condition and occasionally adjust LOC.

I used to work for a press tool manufacturer, and i has set up a template file, where, levels, planes, machines, were all set up, but what we also had. was a "c-hook" which when run, would move all holes, pockets and geometry, to set different levels, making setup and programming very quick, i wonder if this c-hook is still available ?