Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

optirough mc2018

Mark VIII

Why is it that when I try to use stock rest material, all previous operations, to define the stock that MC always makes the first cut depth at the top of the part instead of the actual, desired depth of cut? For example. If I want my endmill to have a depth of cut of 1.0 and I state top of the stock to be Z), it will make the first pass at Z0 instead of Z-1.

1 hour ago, Mark VIII said:

Why is it that when I try to use stock rest material, all previous operations, to define the stock that MC always makes the first cut depth at the top of the part instead of the actual, desired depth of cut? For example. If I want my endmill to have a depth of cut of 1.0 and I state top of the stock to be Z), it will make the first pass at Z0 instead of Z-1.

use the depth limits settings to force your first pass to your desired depth

Yes, Gcode. I understand that you can do that. However, That completely eliminates the ability to step up to cut features, like tapered walls, that are above the first depth of cut. See where I am going with this?  If tapered walls starting from Z0, and I set the minimum depth at Z-1.0 I must create a separate path to clean up those features.

I remember when Dynamic milling first came out, this was not a problem. Once the "upgraded" to optipath this became a problem.

Your step shallow settings are the culprit here. Set your Max .01 to .02 above the highest part of the rough stock. Make sure your boundary is at least 3X your tool diameter bigger than the part. I have seen some use negative values with center to accomplish the same thing. You must use Stock and the previous operation and that previous operation needs to be a defined stock model. You take material off and then make another Opti-Rough and want your results to be good then make another stock model and then make sure that new Opti-Rough uses that new stock model. Rinse and Repeat. The Steep/shallow is the key here and once you wrap your brain around the how you stopping question the why.

Now beware of getting too many stock models linked together. We have found as group best to make a Pmesh of the stock model once you are happy with results. Save the stock model as a Pmesh to a level. Then delete all source operations that made that stock model and grab the Pmesh to make an unlinked to operations stock model. Now if Operation 2 gets changed and you have 20 stock models past it you will not wait for hours for them all to regenerate. You will not make all your operations past that point dirty either. Again wrap brain around the how to make your life easier and not the why you need to and then it gets easier to get done.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Mark VIII said:

Interesting 5TH. The previous Dyna paths were able to accomplish this with 1 operation (although the original Dyna had some problems as well). Why would they choose this method? Is there some reason this would be considered better that I am not seeing?

Because it works. I have never have seen it work with one operation so not sure what your referring to. I have always done it this way even when I was making toolpaths with solid models before we even had stock models to work with.

On 9/11/2018 at 1:16 PM, 5th Axis CGI said:

Because it works. I have never have seen it work with one operation so not sure what your referring to. I have always done it this way even when I was making toolpaths with solid models before we even had stock models to work with.

This is cumbersome. Yes, before optirough replaced the origianal Dynamic paths, this was not a problem. I wish they would correct the issues for optirough.

• Like 1