Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

ot/Vertibird

Brendan P

Do any of you guys remember this Mattel produced helicopter toy?

This thing was made in the 70's if I remember.

it was soo cool,but of course when I was growing up,we couldn't afford a toy like this.

My 2 1/2yr. old son now knows what helicopters are from seeing them fly in the sky.

He calls them "copta"! biggrin.gif

Now I'll be damned if I dont run out and get one for him!

(He's getting one!) wink.gif

I think that they were reproduced some time ago,but I am having a hard time finding one.

I am not looking for an original,maybe just a reproduction or something.

If any of you have info,please let me know.

Aahhh...I feel like a kid again!!!!!! wink.gif

Cant help ya with the chopper but aint it fun buying all the stuff you wanted when you where a kid firebounce.gif I can remember that toy. didnt have one tho frown.gif I grew up pretty lean on toys. had to make them or inprovise with what I had. still got my hot wheels from the late 60's. at least the ones that didnt get a firecracker in it

Probably wont find anything like that new anymore. Whirling blades dont sit well with corporate liability lawyers. Ebay would be your best bet for an old one. Sounds like a cool toy. Any thing with moving parts is always fun for kids.

If he was older I would say get the RC copter. But its' SOOO Easy to have a wreck with one of these. My brother bought himself, I mean his son, an RC car for christmas. Very cool toy.

Good Luck,

Mike Mattera

quote:

Bucket, get him a bike instead.. (Yes, with a motor on it..)

Speaking of which... Check these out web page . These guys were in Daytona, and these little bikes were the hottest thing to hit the Iron Horse and Jackson Hole. They're called Pocket Choppers. Stock they go 36 mph. With the top of the line options they could tune them to hit 108 mph eek.gif . Took one for a ride, and the thing is a blast. Wheelie bars are highly recommended.

I sorta made my own.

Sewing maching motor. Steel strap twisted into a propeller and held to the motor by die cut threads. Wire from ceiling to suport the cross beam. And for a speed control? An ice cream pail lid with an 1/8 inch of copper sulfate solution... The closer you bring the wires, the faster the motor runs. eek.gif

It was the juice can lid saw blade that got me though idea.gifbanghead.gif

quote:

'Rekd teh giving my kids everything I didn't have.

You got that right Matt!

I didn't have sh!t when I was growing up.

My kids is gonna have everything.

I was already looking at minibikes on line.

He's still little,but these little buggas grow up fast! wink.gif

Ps, I did see some on ebay last nite.

I just found a replica here:

lillian vernon

You can find the real vertibirds on Ebay. But, they are spendy. I had one when I was a kid and played with it until I wore it out.

My girlfriend bought me a similar version (they remade them for a while recently) last christmas. They are pretty much the same except the propeller now is three bladed and has a safety ring around it. It doesn't work quite as smooth since they didn't balance it out as well as mattel did so it is a bit jerky.

I was actually about to put it on Ebay since I am moving and need to streamline (getting rid of a bunch of stuff). If you are interested in it let me know. I would be more than happy to sent you some pics.

Of course this could be fun, too. slot bikes

Moto

We were just talking about this here in the programming room the other day. I didn't remember the name of it though.

The Vertibird was one of my favorite toys growing up (along with my Aurora slot cars). Mine had a two blade prop and little barricades you could pick up with the skids when you got skilled at flying it. If I remember correctly the prop was driven from a center base with a steel speedometer type cable. I ended trashing it with numerous rotor strikes and then got an "Enterprise" version. This one had a cheesey plastic look-alike of the Star Trek ship and enclosed the prop in the disc section. It didn't lift or maneuver like the helicopter version.

I picked up one of the "newer versions" just before christmas. Works just like I remember the Vertibird. 3 blade rotor with a safety ring around it (How did we not kill ourselves with the toys we used to play with?), 48" playmat with various plastic things to pick up and some cardboard cut-out buildings - that blow over from the force of the blades. smile.gif

I don't remember to many specifics of flying the Vertibird, but this one seems to tilt backwards the higher it goes. Kind of tough to go straight up (you need to operate both levers), and when at full height, it goes MUCH faster in reverse than forward.

Still hours of fun and a definite recommend for anyone that had an original.

BTW, I tied a catnip ball to it and the cat chased it around and around and around...