Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How do I install X5?

This is done for the people that run a pretty basic installation, if you store in network locations or other drives, you'll need more help than this is written to provide.

The first thing is don't install until your read the installation docs

Available Here

You will see that the installation location has changed. No longer will it install in

C:\mcamx

Mastercam will now install into the "Program Files" directory, the "(x86)Program Files" on a 64 bit system.

By default user files will be placed in your "My Documents" "my mcamx5" folder. This gives the user full read/write access to file they may need to configure.

By default, shared files, control definitions, machine definitions, post processors, tool libraries, defaults, et al will be placed in the public shared folder, this gives multiple users on a single computer with different accounts access to all files that need to be shard by users.

So before installing a user needs to be aware of where these files are going to be placed.

***********CAUTIONARY NOTE*************

Do not attempt to create a classic install on the root C:\ directory, it WILL fail and be the cause of a user having to run the uninstall routine and reinstall into the proper locations.

Once the installation is complete a user can begin migrating their file as there is no migration utility provided.

This is a good place to note that while you can move in your toolbar files to maintain your layout, this is a great time to lose the X4 configuration and start with a fresh X5 configuration file. This is something I suggest because there are many changes AND additions to the X5 configuration file as well as the new directory mapping. If a user is determined to use the X4 configuration file, there is a fair amount of work that will need to be done on it that I will not cover here but suggest you read the documentation.

Updating your X4 posts has been nicely streamlined using the Update folder option. This option has been enhanced to not only move your files to the proper locations but to run the update post.dll during the process. This is quite a clean process.

Step_1.png

Step_2.png

Step_3.png

If the user reads the instructions and allows a clean installation, there should be few if any problems getting X5 running.

All other files that need to be updated for X5 can be done in the same way as the post processors.

On a side note is has been reported by several users running Norton 360 and Norton Internet Security, that this should be disabled while X5 is being installed, it seems it is quarantining some files and not allowing a good installation of X5.

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys, wondering if i can get help here..

i just installed x5, updated all my files from x4. i also got a working 5 axis post for thermwood which we bought from Cimco. now here is the problem, every time i try to post process in x5 it says "cp6.dll not found". i got this file from my x4 files. does anyone know where should i paste this file in x5 installation? i have not contacted yet my reseller or cimco for this and may be you guys can help me here.

-rowel-

hi guys, wondering if i can get help here..

i just installed x5, updated all my files from x4. i also got a working 5 axis post for thermwood which we bought from Cimco. now here is the problem, every time i try to post process in x5 it says "cp6.dll not found". i got this file from my x4 files. does anyone know where should i paste this file in x5 installation? i have not contacted yet my reseller or cimco for this and may be you guys can help me here.

-rowel-

Check with your reseller on the Cimco post.

Cimco needs to provide you the update.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is done for the people that run a pretty basic installation, if you store in network locations or other drives, you'll need more help than this is written to provide.

The first thing is don't install until your read the installation docs

Available Here

You will see that the installation location has changed. No longer will it install in

C:\mcamx

Mastercam will now install into the "Program Files" directory, the "(x86)Program Files" on a 64 bit system.

By default user files will be placed in your "My Documents" "my mcamx5" folder. This gives the user full read/write access to file they may need to configure.

By default, shared files, control definitions, machine definitions, post processors, tool libraries, defaults, et al will be placed in the public shared folder, this gives multiple users on a single computer with different accounts access to all files that need to be shard by users.

So before installing a user needs to be aware of where these files are going to be placed.

***********CAUTIONARY NOTE*************

Do not attempt to create a classic install on the root C:\ directory, it WILL fail and be the cause of a user having to run the uninstall routine and reinstall into the proper locations.

Once the installation is complete a user can begin migrating their file as there is no migration utility provided.

This is a good place to note that while you can move in your toolbar files to maintain your layout, this is a great time to lose the X4 configuration and start with a fresh X5 configuration file. This is something I suggest because there are many changes AND additions to the X5 configuration file as well as the new directory mapping. If a user is determined to use the X4 configuration file, there is a fair amount of work that will need to be done on it that I will not cover here but suggest you read the documentation.

Updating your X4 posts has been nicely streamlined using the Update folder option. This option has been enhanced to not only move your files to the proper locations but to run the update post.dll during the process. This is quite a clean process.

Step_1.png

Step_2.png

Step_3.png

If the user reads the instructions and allows a clean installation, there should be few if any problems getting X5 running.

All other files that need to be updated for X5 can be done in the same way as the post processors.

On a side note is has been reported by several users running Norton 360 and Norton Internet Security, that this should be disabled while X5 is being installed, it seems it is quarantining some files and not allowing a good installation of X5.

Thanks John, That is helpful.

I have another question as well. We have a rather large tool library that has been updated from Mcam X2 through X4. When I updated the tool library to X5, the tool file name stayed referenced to the mcamx4 data path on the c:\ drive. Is there a way to update or migrate the tool library so the data paths update as well, or might I have done the update or migration incorrect?

Thanks,

Seth