Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Associating a .stp file to open in Mastercam X9?

Scott Lent

Hello all,

I've been trying to set the file associations in Windows 7 to open a .step file in Mastercam X9. I was able to do this in X7, but lost that association when we upgraded to X9. Our IT service provider has supposedly tried everything under the sun to accomplish this. Our reseller has told me this is a problem everybody has and that Windows has a fix for this to download that will allow you to force file associations. Getting our IT people to talk with our reseller is like pulling teeth, and right now our reseller is closed. Has anybody found that download and if so, could you tell me how to locate it.

Thanks in advance,

Scott Lent

I don't have this problem. In your windows registry you need to re-associate mastercam.exe with mastercam x9.

Then you have to confirm in the registry that mastercam.exe is the default "OpenWithList" variable in your .STP/.STEP extension.

The problem is generated because Mastercam never renames Mastercam.exe with each new version. They should create something like Mastercam9.exe to eliminate this confusion. But, that would force them to rewrite all of their files that link directly to Mastercam.exe. That may be why they do not doit.

One thing I might recommend before installing newer versions of MC is to uninstall older versions and then run a registry cleaner to eliminate everything associated with MC. 

run the "shell:sendto"  from the window in the Start menu

then you can add X9 or any other exe file you like to the Send To menu in WIndows Explorer

then you can open that step file in X9, Solidworks X7, 8 or any other program you've added to your Send To menu

Its easy to do, and very useful..

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/stupid-geek-tricks-secret-items-on-the-windows-7-send-to-menu/

• Like 2

I don't have this problem. In your windows registry you need to re-associate mastercam.exe with mastercam x9.

Then you have to confirm in the registry that mastercam.exe is the default "OpenWithList" variable in your .STP/.STEP extension.

The problem is generated because Mastercam never renames Mastercam.exe with each new version. They should create something like Mastercam9.exe to eliminate this confusion. But, that would force them to rewrite all of their files that link directly to Mastercam.exe. That may be why they do not doit.

One thing I might recommend before installing newer versions of MC is to uninstall older versions and then run a registry cleaner to eliminate everything associated with MC.

With windows 8 you can set it in default files. Click start, type default and click on default files. Scroll to the extension, click it then browse to the executive on your hdd to open it. In this case, mastercam.

run the "shell:sendto"  from the window in the Start menu

then you can add X9 or any other exe file you like to the Send To menu in WIndows Explorer

then you can open that step file in X9, Solidworks X7, 8 or any other program you've added to your Send To menu

Its easy to do, and very useful..

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/stupid-geek-tricks-secret-items-on-the-windows-7-send-to-menu/

You could do this method without involving the IT dept. No admin rights required.