Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Nearly vertical surface on cavity

AMCNitro

i cant see that part that well either but for parts that just have a small feature to 3d mill i have been loving the Waterline lately since you can do some pretty cool stuff with the linking. I dont use this strategy for an entire mold application but for small feeatures that are just on one side of the component its pretty sweet.

Basically you can turn a waterline into a very efficent Climb only toolpath by making a few changes to the default settings. I find that Climb milling only on some 3d finishing applications gives me the best finish and also its great for those harder materials so you can do the following easily to make an efficent climb only waterlind.

After setting up a waterline, set the gap setting very small (on cut paramaters page). By doing this you are telling mastercam to produce a lot of retracts since anytime mastercam needs to transition greater than that gap distance it will want to use your linking retract settings. With that being said then i turn those retracts to a feed rate (higher feed rate since this is just a transition, I chose 250ipm for this sample. To turn retracts to a nice feed its on the linking parameters page of that water line and you can change the retract to a minimum distance with a feed rate. Lastly I needed a nice arc size since I really didn't want a lift but just a nice backfeedrate so typically I just make the entry arc the same as my tool Dia.

I know that's long winded, but with all that being said I have a toolpath like what is shown in the image below, climbing from bottom to top of the 3d feature and never retracting. and the best part is when the tool is off the part its using the Higher feed rate that I specified. I think this is a pretty slick trick and I have used it on quite a lot of my parts and its very efficient.

Video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ljmyeuba1748vv/Waterline-Climbonly-noretract.mp4?dl=0

sample part from vid: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fucezcn66x8xo5y/T.mcam?dl=0

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...